Monday, December 9, 2013

Wonder Woman!

Wonder Woman is going to be in Man of Steel 2... interesting

Warner Brothers announced last week and said that Gal Gadot would be playing Wonder Woman in the Man of Steel sequel. Now I haven't seen Gal Gadot in anything. I haven't seen the Fast and Furious movie she's in, I haven't seen her in general. I don't know anything about Gal Gadot.

As far as appearances go, I do know she's on the skinnier side. I don't know how that's going to look especially since Wonder Woman is not a skinny woman at all. However I'm not one to judge and say that totally disqualifies her from the part. Maybe she can bulk up, maybe by the time the movie shows she'll look exactly like Wonder Woman.

As far as acting goes, again, I don't know Gadot. That may be a bad thing but they had to have seen something in the audition. This movie is too important for Zack Snyder to just give this role to anybody. There must have been a reason. My only word to Snyder is...


I said this about the Batman casting and I'll say it about this one. You had better be going somewhere with this Snyder. I am putting so much faith in you right now. You had been not fuck this one up.

It's one thing to screw up one of the most beloved Superheroes like Batman. It's another thing to screw up one of the most beloved FEMALE superheroes, that has never been on film before.

And there's a reason. Wonder Woman is a hard character to portray.

Wonder Woman is an Amazon Queen. In the context of the superhero world, the only comparison I can draw is Thor. Granted, they did a good job with Thor but if you've seen my Thor: The Dark World review. Thor is kind of a wild card. I'm never really sure if its going to work. Luckily I'm always wrong but that's the question for Wonder Woman. Will it work?

I may have mentioned this before but I'm not totally clear on the back story of Wonder Woman beyond the Amazon warrior bit. But I'm not quite sure who her alter ego is. I guess Diana Prince worked for the UN but she's similar to Superman in that she's Wonder Woman first, being born to Amazon Warriors and enters the world, hiding her identity behind the Diana Prince alter ego.

Whereas Spider-man was Peter Parker's alter ego, Wonder Woman's alter ego is Diana Prince. Does that make any sense? DC tends to go from a top down aspect with Superman and Wonder Woman. Instead of Peter Parker putting on the mask to become Spider-Man, Kal-El or Superman puts on the mask when he's Clark Kent.

Which makes me wonder how they're going to incorporate Wonder Woman into this Man of Steel sequel. And this is the part that concerns me the most about this news.

When I first heard the news, I was very excited. I thought, the more superheroes I see, the better the movie will be right?

And then I thought, this movie is suppose to be about Superman and Batman. I'm still okay with Wonder Woman being in the movie, but I don't want her to reveal herself as Wonder Woman yet. On one hand, I don't want her to be Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow in Iron Man 2 because frankly, there was no point to her accept to allude to the Avengers. That among, other things, made Iron Man 2 suffer and I don't want this to be just a set up for the Justice League.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the Justice League more than anyone, but I want it to happen naturally. I want to see a movie developing the relationship between Batman and Superman. I want to see them come at odds and then ultimately decide the world is better if they team up.

So that's why I don't really want to see Wonder Woman actually show up in this movie. I'm fine with Gal Gadot performing as Diana Prince. I'm fine with her being a UN member, reporter, frankly, I don't give a shit about her role as long as she's developed and I get excited for a movie where she is actually Wonder Woman.

There are two ways I could see this movie going that I would be okay with. Neither of which I think will happen.

1. The War Machine Approach - This is probably the most preferable for me. This is the approach where Diana Prince knows she is Wonder Woman but she doesn't appear quite yet. She knows she will have a role in the future and possibly right before the big battle she sees a whip, or a sword and she's tempted to go out there and get involved, however she has something important to do, with her civilian job, and she can't join the fight quite yet. This was an awesome teaser in Iron Man and I think it could be well done in the case of Wonder Woman. As said before, this movie is about Superman and Batman. They are the ones that should be fighting and Wonder Woman should not be taking away from that. It serves the purpose to let the audience know for sure that Wonder Woman will be in the Justice League movie. I think this version allows to properly introduce Diana Prince, it allows for character development (if done right), and it gets audiences excited for the Justice League, and possibly a standalone Wonder Woman Movie.

2. The "Amnesia"approach - I don't like calling it the Amnesia approach cause that sounds stupid. While this approach isn't exactly how I would like it, its my second favorite approach. This is the approach where Diana Prince doesn't know she's Wonder Woman. She goes about the movie with no hints of her knowing she's Wonder Woman and its not till the end of the movie, like a post credit scene or something, she discovers this. Whether is Superman revealing it to her, or her discovering it herself.

Again, I think this would be a great way to allude to future movies. I think this version would also set up for a standalone movie. Possibly a prequel showing how she came to get that memory loss.

Again, the amnesia route is kind of going down a road that X-Men Origins took. It didn't work for Wolverine, why would it work for Wonder Woman? Granted, there were other problems with that movie and maybe it could work for a standalone movie for Wonder Woman.

And then there are approaches that I wouldn't like that much.

1. Justice League prequel approach - This is an exaggeration but I'll say it again, I don't want Wonder Woman to take away from Batman and Superman!

I want to see these three fight together. Look at my past posts, I am more than excited for a Justice League movie.

But it has to be done correctly.

The reason the Avengers was so popular was not just because Joss Whedon just threw in a bunch of superheroes, he did a good job at it! He developed each character (or the important ones) in their own movie and when they finally joined forces and the Avengers happened, it was so epic!

I know we all want to feel that feeling again, but its not going to happen if this Justice League movie is rushed.

I don't think they should make an individual movie for each superhero but I think they should do at least one more standalone after Batman and Superman. I've heard rumors its going to be a Flash movie... and if its done right, well alright. But I would much rather see a standalone Wonder Woman movie!

2. The Post Credit Scene - I don't totally loathe this idea but I don't like it too much. This is the approach where the movie is about Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman appears at the end, possibly a post credit scene.

If you've seen my post about post credit scenes, a part of me is really hoping that DC switches up their movies, making them different and make their teasers in different ways than the status quo of Marvel.

In short, I'm not opposed to DC going with post-credit scenes but it would be more impressive for DC to find a new way to tease their future movies like subtle hints within the movie, like the LexCorp tanker and the Wayne Enterprises satellite in Man of Steel.

But if they were going to go with the post credit scene in Man of Steel, don't have it be a Wonder Woman reveal if she hasn't been in the movie yet.

This doesn't allow for any development for Diana Prince/ Wonder Woman and unless you give her a standalone movie (which I don't think is going to happen before the Justice League movie) you're just throwing in a random cameo. That's not a good set up for Justice League. Maybe a standalone, but not a justice league movie.

Having Wonder Woman in this movie is a huge deal!

It's a big deal when any super hero is brought to the silver screen, but this is fucking Wonder Woman! This is one of the most recognizable female superhero. And if you've watched female superhero movies, they suck!

Catwoman! Elektra! Supergirl! Barb Wire! All terrible movies.

It's different than Black Widow because nobody knows who Black Widow is! In my opinion, Black Widow could have been given a different name and it wouldn't have changed her character at all. I don't think people would have care that much.

Black Widow is also not going to get her own standalone movie. She's important enough to get thrown into a Captain America movie but again, you're not going to see Marvel make a movie solely on Black Widow.

Wonder Woman is very different. There are going to be a lot of people pissed if Wonder Woman doesn't get her own standalone movie, whether its before or after a Justice League movie. The point is, this needs to be done right.

Now, going back to the start of this blog, if I haven't said this enough, I don't know that much about Gal Gadot. I don't know if she can have her own entire movie to herself. That will be something to consider. And while my jury is still out on whether or not Gadot is a good choice for the role, having Wonder Woman in this movie must be done right in order to give her a good footing for future movies.

So in short...

So what do you think? Do you think Gal Gadot was a good choice for Wonder Woman? How do you think Wonder Woman should be utilized in this new Man of Steel movie? I'm interested to find out what other people think, especially in terms of what role Wonder Woman should have in this new movie.

I will leave you with this. This was a short film teaser trailer that some people whipped up a while ago. A lot of people said they wanted this Wonder Woman, what do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment