Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Star Wars 7 Cast!

So there is a lot to talk about this week when it comes to Star Wars. I've been re-watching the prequel films, trying to figure out a review for them without sounding redundant or repeating countless things that have been said about them before.

I plan to give some kind of review on those movies in some capacity soon but right now there's bigger news.

The picture to your left is a really funny picture because I think they're trying to recreate the casting pictures from the original Star Wars trilogy. You know the old ones with Harrison Ford when he was just a simple carpenter, before he became our messiah. And Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher before they got old.

Like this one!

And it makes me very excited because the picture above is a picture of the new cast members and the original cast members sitting down to discuss Star Wars episode 7.

Now the new episode is still over a year away but with May the 4th coming up, its time to start dishing out information about the movie.

Now I'll be honest, when I first heard they were doing another Star Wars trilogy... I wasn't wild about it. It just kind of seemed like a ploy Disney was using to make money off a franchise they probably spent too much money to get. Of course they're going to get their money's worth. Well some time has past and I'm warming up to the idea of it, especially with a studio like Disney. A company with a history of dishing out great movies and running them into the ground until they die. But at least it'll have a good start and hopefully last until this trilogy is over.

So as long as Disney swears to spare no expense in the mission to bring Star Wars back right, all I have to say is...


You're dealing with a property that I hold very close and dear to my heart. You mess with Star Wars, I mess with you.

But onto the reason I made this post. The new cast was revealed today. Now this is very exciting news because its a situation I've never been in before. I was too young to really think about how new the prequel film's cast was. They were just immediately the Star Wars cast. Now I have time to look into these actors and really "get to know them" before I see the 7th episode.

But the original cast is confirmed. Now we all kinda knew that they were coming back but it was never 100% confirmed. Now its absolutely confirmed and there's no more of this bullshit wondering if they'll be in it, they are, its done.

The movie is suppose to take place 30 years after Return of the Jedi. Han and Leia are married and we can assume they have kids, kids that perhaps will have important roles in the next movies?

I'd like to believe we're going to catch up with Luke as a much more powerful Jedi. And of course Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2D2 will be along for the ride.

But the more important roles are that of the totally new people.

Here's an album of the new cast members. No clue what their parts are yet but here they are.

Now to be totally honest, with the exception of Andy Serkis, I have absolutely no idea who most of these people are. So I'll start with that.

I won't claim to be a huge Andy Serkis fan. In a list of actors I really like, Andy Serkis doesn't really ever fall on that list. However, I can credit the man for two things. Every movie I've seen him in, I've loved. Maybe its just a coincidence, but I'm pretty sure I can also say I enjoyed the hell out of him. And that's mainly due to the incredibly things the man can do with his face. Gollum is still one of my favorite characters from Lord of the Rings and its because of Serkis.

Now it brings up the question, are they going to have Serkis be a CGI character or just have him act. Only time will tell. All I know is that the man can act, and I don't care if he's a gungan, I think this is a great choice.... Don't make him a gungan though...

I'd like to possibly see him in a live action role, possibly as a crime lord or possibly a Sith but I'm not sure if the FX possibilities are too much to pass up for Abrams. Only time will tell.

The other casting I think will be interesting is the casting of Daisy Ridley.

Ridley is a total newcomer. She's been in some random ass TV and some music videos or something but nothing really big. I don't know, I'm basing it off of one head shot but she looks like she would fit in Star Wars.

The guesses for her mainly focus on her being the daughter of Han and Leia. This is all conjecture but she is sitting in between Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher in the group photo... I'm super excited to see what she can do and while we do run the risk of screwing her over with only knowing her as that chick from the Star Wars films, this could be a huge launch pad for a huge career and I love that. I think that's really what made the original trilogy really good was the raw untested talent. Harrison Ford was a full-time carpenter. The only mainstream actor was Alec Guinness.

I don't know, but I'm excited.

The one complaint people have had with this list is that Ridley is the only female beyond Leia.

I'm just going to put it out there. THERE WILL BE MORE WOMEN! There is no way the entire movie is just going to be focused on these 13 people. Sure they may be the core cast but there will be more. They have given themselves room to bring in new characters to interact with these characters that they have set up for years and years to come.

Abrams wants a more diverse cast and he will bring it. Just watch. It will no longer be a galaxy far far away with only Princesses, and hookers as the only women, and 2 black men in the entire galaxy. (Lando, Mace Windu, .5 if you count Darth Vader's voice)

For a reference, use this video.


There are a lot of new characters and I'm really looking forward to seeing these characters in action. Some are going to be Jedi, some are going to be bad guys, some are going to be... random ass guys. Regardless, I think this is a really good cast.

I might go into more detail but I'm hoping we'll get a title of the film and character names in the coming days, considering May the 4th is coming.

Stay tuned as I will be taking more Star Wars in the weeks to come. However, I'm try to keep my knowledge as limited as possible about this film. I am interested in knowing the title and possibly the names of the characters but beyond that, I'm not watching any trailers, or reading anything about the story. I just want to show up on opening night and be amazed.

That being said, there's still a lot to talk about. Especially the current announcement on what it means to be Star Wars canon. I'll be talking about in the next post.

What do you think? While I'm not going to read anything about the story, I do like to speculate. Where do you think they're going with the story and who do you think these characters are?

Comment and discuss below!

I'll leave you with this. Along with the cast, its already been known that John Williams will return to do the music. And the truth is John Williams is just the man. Here's an oldie but a goodie. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment