Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer

So if you haven't seen it already, The Guardians of The Galaxy trailer has hit the internet. If you're into superhero news chances are you have already seen it but if you haven't here it is right here.


Now I was a little bitter about this trailer, mainly because it hit the news that it was going to be premiering yesterday. Which it did. But it premiered on Jimmy Kimmel live. Now, I don't watch Jimmy Kimmel Live... live. But I was under the impression I was going to get to see the trailer yesterday. So while its nice to see it now, I feel I'm a little bit behind, and its Marvel's fault. 

Pettiness aside... the trailer is... alright.

I think the best thing that probably came out of this trailer was the fact that everyone (myself included) is now obsessed with the song Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede


But the trailer is suppose to give more than catchy songs right?

And for what this trailer is trying to accomplish, it does really really well. Marvel knows what they are getting into when it comes to Guardians of the Galaxy. 

The fact of the matter is, nobody knows who any of these (quote from the trailer) A-holes are. And
Marvel knows that. The only reason I know who the Guardians of the Galaxy are is because I've read up on them since I've heard about this movie months ago.

But the trailer takes a really funny approach in making them just seem like the misfits of the Marvel universe and playing off what might seem a fault. For that I have to give Marvel major props for making such a sound marketing decision. They put the Marvel logo behind it, they give a little bit of a background but really make this film something that will get people to just think, that looks weird... I'm intrigued now.

And its funny. The trailer has some funny jokes and again, doesn't try to be something its not. I think one of the most obscure scenes I've seen in a trailer is the last scene where it just goes to the chorus of Hooked on a Feeling and shows the five of them standing in a row. Its not really climactic, its not incredibly flattering, its just saying, here's what's happening, let's have some fun in August.

Now the next question is, does this trailer point to us having that fun time in August?

The short answer is, I think so. Listen, I have total faith in Marvel. They have proven themselves over and over again and any doubts that I have are issues that could erupt in the future but not now.

Marvel knew that they couldn't do something like Guardians when they first started and now they have the opportunity to take a risk, just like they did with Iron Man back in 2008. So when it comes to faith in Marvel, I think they're going to do a good job with this movie.

The trailer itself... doesn't really sell me though. I like it, I think its smart, and it knows what its selling. However I'm still very skeptical of this move just in general. Its a risk to move from straight up superheroes to a Star Wars like universe but keep it in the same realm as the heroes you've brought up before.

I still have no idea how the Guardians are going to fit in with this universe or if they're going to continue being in the universe if this movie bombs. The good thing is, this is, in context, is a very low risk movie. Yeah its a risk in that Marvel is doing something totally different and there's a chance people won't like it. But if this bombs, Marvel isn't in any trouble. If it fails, they go back to what they're good at with Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc and they never have to do a Guardians movie again.

However, I hope this movie is going to be good. Marvel is very impressive when they can bring in a group of heroes nobody has heard of and try something new with it and I think it'll be a fun movie to see come August.

So while I have my doubts about Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm not worried because Marvel has proven time and time again that they're a force to be reckoned with and best case scenario, Guardians knocks it out of the park and its great movie. Worst case scenario, its not good and Marvel can just leave it and try something new.

So now that you've seen the trailer, what did you think? Comment and discuss below and let me know your thoughts. Were you sold on the trailer? Are you excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment