Thursday, October 23, 2014

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron Trailer!

Here's the beauty of being in South Africa.

Right now it is 9 in the morning, in the States it is 2 in the morning. Yes the views on the new Age of Ultron trailer are growing by the minute, but I saw it when only about 500,000 people saw it. Its a small but still something very cool. I saw this piece of awesomeness before a lot of people.


I'll try not to say too much about it because a lot of it is speculation. I have to correct a previous post in saying that it was absolutely confirmed that Robert Downey Jr. was going to be in Captain America 3. Its a report from Variety which is pretty credible but it has not been confirmed by Downey or Marvel that its happened or that Civil War is happening. So I can't knowingly sit here and just shoot conjecture at you when I don't know what's going to happen in Age of Ultron.

But Holy Moses!

Now I've heard different things about Age of Ultron, honestly I haven't focused on it a lot because its not like Batman v Superman. Its a movie I'm excited for but its not a movie I'm worried about. I want Batman v Superman to be good more than anything but its still a crap shoot.

Age of Ultron is going to be fun because its the characters we've been enjoying more and more lately.

This trailer has only strengthened the idea that this movie is going to be good. I have no doubt. So I'll just go over the 3 highlights of the trailer.

1) Ultron

We finally get to see him! This is the first time we've seen Ultron in his glory and by god, he's terrifying.

Maybe its the creepy ass Pinnochio music, or his demon James Spader Transformer voice, but my god, this is a villain I am looking forward to the Avengers to fight this guy. In the comics he's made up of antimatium (or whatever the hell Wolverine's claws are made up of) Regardless of whether or not they use that, he is going to be a strong ass motherfucker.

Also lets talk about James Spader. Holy moses the guy has a terrifying voice. Again, its all conjecture to figure out what Ultron's plans are but his monologue in the film is focused on the Avengers and how they're puppets being controlled in a world they want to protect but they don't want to change. (All quotes) My theory is that Ultron is going to be created by Tony Stark as a pre-Vision machine in order to help the Avengers. Somethings going to happen to make Ultron question his programming, he becomes sentient and decides to fuck shit up.

That's my theory, I said I wasn't going to base this all on conjecture but it is fun to theorize.

Point is, he looks awesome, that at the song in the background makes him terrifying.

2) Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver.

These two show up a lot in the trailer. We saw them briefly at the end credit scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and I was excited then!

Frankly, I'm not as excited about Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Quicksilver just because I'm not wild about his skills as an actor. Also, I think Quicksilver in Days of Future Past just knocked it out of the park that it'll be hard to top that.

But I'm actually very excited about Elizabeth Olson as Scarlett Witch. Not only did she look freakin nuts in The Winter Soldier, but this trailer just makes her look more and more bad ass. Aaron Taylor-Johnson will need to prove himself but I have a feeling that Elizabeth Olson is going to be good. Put aside the fact that she's gorgeous, she just has moments in the trailer that just gets me excited to see her in action.

Now I'll give Johnson a little bit of credit, the wig does look better in action then it does in the onset pictures. But regardless of whether or not its an onset picture, or in action, Scarlett Witch just looks cool.

Now I kind of hope that they deviate a little bit from the comics in dealing with these two. In the comics, they are bad at first and used by Hydra to fight the Avengers. But then they turn good and join the Avengers. Personally, I want to see something a little bit different and maybe see an anti hero aspect about them or, god forbid, they stay evil. I don't imagine it will happen and there's a part in the trailer where Quicksilver is fighting with Captain America against Ultron so I imagine, regardless, there will be a common enemy complex here. But I would like to see something more complext with these two and I have good vibes coming from the trailer.

These two are actually the thing that got me the most excited about the movie. Well... that and this.

3. More Hulk!

Initially it was Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch that I was most excited for but the more I watch this trailer, the more I see there is something wrong with Bruce Banner.

The big issues that seem to be problems in the trailer are Ultron (obviously) the twins, and Bruce Banner/ the Hulk. I'm personally looking forward to some more character development with Bruce Banner and its obvious that either he can't control the Hulk anymore, or he's going to have irreconcilable differences with his compatriots that will cause him to become the Hulk and do... something.

Again a lot of it is conjecture. I don't know why everyone is trying to attack the Hulk, I don't know why Bruce Banner looks super distrubed in the entire trailer.

More importantly, I don't know what Bruce Banner does that causes Tony Stark to build something that I'm sure a lot of fanboys are freaking out about but I'm excited for just because it looks amazing.


...Its... BEAUTIFUL!

Now I'm a little worried because I'm wondering if this Hulk fight is just going to be the exact same fight it was in the original Avengers or if there's something more to this. Is Tony Stark creating a giant Iron Man suit in order to fight the Hulk just something cool to look at or is it because suddenly Bruce Banner is out of control and must be stopped. The latter option creates potential for future conflict whereas the first option is just something that looks cool and adds another fight to the movie. Cool, but not substantial.

And that's where this movie might have the potential to start the trek towards the Avengers getting stale.

Don't get me wrong, the Avengers are not getting stale. Marvel is still king and rocking the Comic book movie world.

However, what has happened recently is that some characters have taken the center stage. My facebook status after seeing this trailer was, New Avengers Trailer: Robert Downey Jr, Captain America, and other characters who have slowly become not as cool fight Demon Optimus Prime.

Since Downey started it all, and Captain America suddenly became the coolest Avenger with The Winter Soldier, suddenly they take center stage, and for good reason. They're good characters. However, this is an Avengers movie, not Iron Man and Captain America... let's hold off on that for Captain America 3.

I want to see more development of Thor, more development of Black Widow and especially Hawk Eye. I want to see a lot more of Bruce Banner, especially since the last time we saw him was in the last Avengers (not counting his therapy session with Tony Stark at the end of Iron Man 3).

Now of course I can't tell that from a trailer, and it could still happen. However, one of the biggest complains with The Avengers was that it did not have much of a story or character development, just a lot of action.

Now don't get me wrong, I think The Avengers is great. But Marvel can only go off of that heavy on the action, light on the development for so long. The Avengers was something totally unprecidented. It was more excusable for it to have less of a story and more of a focus on how cool it was that all these heroes were in one movie.

However, I don't want to see the same movie. Age of Ultron needs to differentiate itself from its predecessor, especially if there are going to be more of them.

I would like to say that I would like to see more collaborations of superheroes and I don't think we're at any risk of losing that anytime soon. But if the sequel of The Avengers is not as good, there's a slippery slope of people getting bored with seeing this stuff over and over again.

Its like the Hangover. Everybody thought the second movie was going to be so good because obviously the first movie was so good. But as I've said before, The Hangover part 2 was awful because it was riding on the tails of the predecessor. Age of Ultron cannot assume that its going to be good because the Avengers was good.

Now this is all overthinking things and worrying about something that is not going to happen. The truth is, Marvel knows what they are doing. They have a plan. Frankly, I don't think they can do wrong. And the trailer for this movie only gives me confidence.

The movie looks like its going to be dark and a little freaky, at least thats the feeling I got from the trailer... and I love it.

Oh... and Andy Serkis is in the film... in an actual role, not a CGI character. Look!


That's cool...

There's more I could talk about it, but watch the trailer and let me know what you think. Comment and Discuss below. These are my thoughts, what are yours?

I'll leave you with this. Compare and contrast the trailers between Age of Ultron and the original Avengers. Its kind of fun. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment