Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Spider-man in Civil War?


Now a couple weeks back, Sony was hacked, I guess by North Korea?

This hack has created a lot of chaos and in a way its really started a conversation about internet warfare, cyberterrorism, and how does the United States respond to an attack like this?

I could talk about a lot of things, things like The Interview being cancelled, the response from the general public about Sony pulling this movie from the theaters, a lot of things but I think I'll hold off on that until I can find myself a copy of The Interview and have a full idea of exactly Sony was pulling.

Of course what I want to talk about is the new from the hacks that pointed towards, probably the best indication that Spider-man could be joining the Avengers... maybe... probably not, but at least it was close at one point.

Originally I wanted to wait until I watched The Amazing Spider-man 1 again to give the upside of this Spider-man Universe to counter the downside that was The Amazing Spider-man 2... which I don't even consider that huge of a downside. Yeah it had its problems, but I hear people saying that movie was complete garbage. It wasn't. Yeah it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I think that we've been spoiled by all the great superhero films these days that when a movie like the Amazing Spider-man 2 comes out and its not quite up to snuff with movies like The Winter Soldier or X-men Days of Future Past, suddenly we call the movie a bad movie. I really don't think The Amazing Spider-man 2 was that bad. Was it phenomenal? No. But let's not jump to conclusions and say that the Spider-man universe is absolutely going to Marvel because that movie wasn't quite as good as we expected.

The main reason we think Spider-man is going back to Marvel is due to the financial trouble Sony is in and the recent hacks it was stated that the higher ups at Sony were not happy with the direction of Spider-man and a deal with Marvel was being worked out to split the rights for Spider-man 40/60 with Marvel. Giving marvel creative rights but keeping liscensing and distribution rights at Sony. I don't know the specifics but I personally really like this deals. It puts Spider-Man in the  hands of the people who can do the character the most justice while not totally sending Sony out to pasture.

The deals didn't go through obviously for a couple reasons one of them I guess being the condition that Marvel required that Andrew Garfield be dropped as Spider-man... I know this wasn't probably the one reason but... Is that it?

Don't get me wrong. I've actually come like Garfield's Spider-Man and if Garfield could be brought over in the deal, I'd be so happy. However if it's just a matter of dropping Garfield in order to get Spider-Man in the Avengers, I'm willing to let this one go, especially since Garfield is a good actor and would land on his feet.

But why does this matter? I think we've had multiple occasions when there's been rumors of Spider-man to come over to Marvel. Why does this matter, especially if the deal has been shelved. Well what's different this time around is that Marvel has a lineup of great movies coming up in phase three.  Civil War, Infinity Wars, a lot of stuff that are already awesome but would be just phenomenal with Spider-Man. Mainly Civil War.

I don't know the Civil War outside of stuff I've talked about before but I know Spider-Man is a huge part of that story line. Civil war just seems like the most perfect time to introduce Spider-Man into the Marvel cinematic universe. I'm sure he could be introduced in any movie, but Civil War just seems perfect to me. Start off phase three with a bang!  Unfortunately, there's now a time crunch here. Marvel needs to move forward to make the release date they promised with their lineup. If Spider-Man is going to be in the cinematic universe, in order to get the best pay out, it has to be in Civil war. If Spider-Man is going to Marvel they're not going to redo the origin. They're gonna throw him into Civil War or Infinity Wars. I would prefer Civil War because I know Spider-Man will get the most screen time and have the most impactful presence in Civil War. If they go infinity wars to introduce him, it'll be an after thought, like Quicksilver in Days of Future Past. He'll still be cool, but he won't get the part in the universe Spider-Man deserves.

Regardless of whether They reach a deal now or not, I foresee Spider-Man coming to the Marevl cinematic universe. And here's why.

The Spider-Man cinematic universe in the hands of Sony is a sinking ship. The biggest thing Sony has planned that might be interesting is a Sinister 6 film. I remember a while back when that film was  the next big thing and everyone was excited for it... Then The amazing Spider-Man 2 happened. Suddenly everyone including Sony started having doubts. Then they started talking about making an aunt may movie. It just didn't seem like Sony had any impressive plans that gave the public confidence about the future of Spider-Man in their hands. I think the fact that the recent  hacks didn't show anything in result exciting except the impending deal with Marvel, make me convinced is going to happen sooner or later.

So what're the options for Spider-Man in the cinematic universe of marvel? Well there are a couple options.

1. Spider-Man in Civil War.

It's not going to be the storyline from the comic book but that' doesn't really matter to me honestly. I want to see Black Panther in Civil war. From what I understand, there are two scripts over at Marvel. One with Black Panther, the one it's looking like it's going to be . But here's also another script with both Black Panther AND Spider-man. I don't know what that script looks like, but it's Marvel I have enough confidence in them to be sure that it'll work out fine.

This is the way I can see it going down.

Spider-man is doing his thing in New York. But Spider-man is doing his local stuff in New York, he's small time compared to the Avengers. You could even say that that Peter Parker was inspired by the events of Avengers 1 to do his vigilante stuff in New York. At the end of Age of Ultron, the inklings of the Civil War are already starting. The post credit scene could Tony stark be looking over the new government legislation that is the subject of conflict in Civil War. He then starts talking about the PR campaign and he pulls out a folder. Says, I think I know the perfect poster boy for this new legislation. At the end of the scene, the camera pans over to the file Stark is looking at and you see a picture of a nerdy young adult in New York and at the bottom of the page the file says, Peter Parker.

Would that not be amazing?!?!?!

Again, I'm pretty sure Marvel can do a script with both Spider-man and Black Panther, I just think that since Black Panther is getting his own movie, the focus could be shifted to Spider-man instead of Black Panther. Black Panther can still be awesome in the film but he won't be as much of the focus as Spider-man should be.

Unfortunately, while this is the most desirable option, I don't think that it will happen. Marvel already has a plan set for Black Panther to be the secondary focus in Civil War instead of Spider-man so, I don't see it as very likely. So that leaves us to the next option. I don't know if its the second most desirable option but here's the next option.

2. Spider-Man in Infinity Wars


This is the more likely option in my mind, however it is not my preferred option. Like I mentioned before, there is so many things that will be going on in Avengers: Infinity Wars. They'll have Thanos to deal with, which they'll have to develop more to make him an awesome villain. We'll also have a lot, if not all of the new characters that are introduced between now and Infinity Wars. This will definitely include, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Scarlett Witch, Quick Silver (unless one of them or both die in Age of Ultron), possibly Doctor Strange, possibly the Guardians of the Galaxy.

This is not the time to start introducing characters.

The reason The Avengers worked so well was because we had already introduced all of the Avengers so when the movie came, all we needed was them to kick some ass. Infinity Wars is not the time to introduce Spider-man.

Unfortunately, I see this happening more likely than any of the other options in this post. Again, I think Sony is going to lose Spider-man sooner or later to Marvel.

Unfortunately, its more likely that it will be later rather than sooner because unfortunately, all of this is based off of conjecture and all of this is rumor. There were talks that failed. Personally, I don't think they've totally been shelved. Again, I'm calling Spider-man in the Avengers by 2020 at the very latest.

Marvel is going to fight hard to get him in as soon as possible. I would prefer, if they can't get him in Civil War, unless they can squeeze in a Marvel standalone film, or integrate him into another standalone film in a tasteful way, I want them to wait to put Spider-man in the Marvel Universe until Infinity Wars is over.

I think the reason for that is that I don't see a graceful way of bringing Spider-man into Infinity Wars. While Spider-man is a great superhero and could be brought up to speed, I just think it would be more graceful if it was done in Civil War. I mean what has Spider-man been doing since? Infinity Wars? Just web slinging in New York? And then he's suppose to go to the level of fighting bank robbers to fighting Thanos? I don't see that as a graceful transition into the universe.

 Which brings me to the final option, which I really hope they end up doing.

3. Spider-man Post Infinity Wars. 


This is my second preferable option only because I want to see Spider-man with the Avengers as soon as possible.

However, I see a great opportunity in waiting to bring Spider-man into the Avengers after Thanos is defeated and the Avengers need to move into a new phase.

I wanted to do a post on the plans Marvel has for the Avengers after Phase three is over. I still want to do that post, but the part that connects to Spider-man is that if Spider-man joins the Avengers, he can bring in a new phase with new players that can be just as interesting as the original Avengers with big name actors like RDJ, Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth.

This allows for new Spider-man standalone films, making Spider-man fully Marvel's again, and making him the new face of The Avengers, especially if RDJ wants out or if Disney doesn't want to pay his huge paycheck anymore. Spider-man can be the new face of the Avengers.

I think regardless of where he comes in, Marvel is going to do Spider-man standalone films after Infinity Wars and do Spider-man the Marvel way, but I think if you can't get him in Civil War, just wait and make him the face of the Avengers post-Infinity Wars. This is the patient and long term game. I'll talk more about this in my Thanos post coming up, but that's what I think are the three ways they could go with Spider-man in the Marvel Universe.

I think in my Amazing Spider-man 1 review, I'll talk about who I would want to see as Spider-man in the Marvel Universe. But personally I think Andrew Garfield, as much as I'd like to see him in the Marvel Universe, needs to go if thats what's needed.

But what do you think? Do you think Spider-man should stay with Sony? If you think he should come to Marvel, when do you want to see him, ASAP? Infinity Wars? Post Phase 3? Comment and Discuss below!

No comments:

Post a Comment