Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Hot Fuzz


Despite the fact that up until I finally got around to watching Hot Fuzz, I was worried that this movie was just a regular run of the mill buddy cop movie. Which don't get me wrong, there have been a numerous amount of run of the mill buddy cop movies that I have enjoyed. However, I wasn't quite in the mood for some thing run of the mill, I wanted something different.

 I've also never been a huge fan of Edgar Wright's work but that's also because I never have got around to watching a whole lot of his work. So while I know he has his own distinct style, I was never really sure what that meant.

And in fact, the beginning of this movie did have a little bit of a start that I wasn't wild about and didn't have a lot of interest in.

The beginning of the movie introduces Sgt. Nicholas Angel (played by Simon Pegg). He's your standard straight laced cop. He's very good at his job, he always follows the rules, and he's from the cities. However, he is transferred to the country where he is a Sergeant in a small village that is notorious for getting best village of the year, its just very pleasant.

Like any standard buddy cop movie, he's paired up with his exact opposite. That opposite comes in the form of Nick Frost as Danny Butterman. He of course is a drunk, he's unorganized, and he's just not that great of a cop. Hilarity ensues as these two try and find a way to work together and actually end up getting along despite their differences.

Now, if this movie wasn't directed by Edgar Wright and was just a standard buddy cop comedy, there would still be a murderer, people would still die and these two would have to buck the system, put aside their differences, and learn to work together... if this was a standard buddy cop movie.

The village of course is populated by a band of colorful characters from the other police officers in the force, to the main citizens of this village. I think the movie probably has a larger appeal in the UK as they probably are a little bit more familiar with this kind of village, but regardless, its funny.

While its a solid cast with good names like Jim Broadbent, the obvious standout is James Bond himself, Timothy Dalton.

Dalton really isn't that popular outside of Bond and that's a damn shame because the guy is hilariously awesome and really a lot of fun to watch.

His character is definitely a sort of satire but its done really well, and again, the ending makes this movie anything but a standard buddy cop movie. But again, if you watch this movie for any reason, it might just be the entertainment value of Timothy Dalton. He's not the funniest character, he's just fun to watch.

The main appeal is the relationship between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. These two have worked together in some of Wright's work so if you're familiar with his work, you're not going to be surprised at the chemistry between these two. And the funny part is, Pegg has never been pegged in my mind as the straight laced squared away type, but he does such a good job and is juxtaposed so well by Frost that its a lot of fun.

I don't want to say A LOT about the ending of this movie as it is a really good twist and it is just down right hilarious. But what I will say is that you should hold on till the end because it does tie a lot together and I'm sure if I watch this movie again, I'm going to enjoy it a lot more now that I know the twist. And replay value is something that wins points in my book.

Now did this movie make me a huge Edgar Wright fan? I don't think so. I think the guy is talented, I think this is a really fun movie, but it does have its flaws. If you're not into British humor or are not a huge fan of satire, you'll probably see this movie as only okay. Its not the most ridiculous movie I've watched this week, (that is coming soon) but it does have a couple moments that are ridiculous and a lot of fun.

I would mainly suggest this movie to anybody who likes comedies and wants one that is a lot of fun but at the same time is going to make you think just a little bit. I'm not saying its an Inception like movie but the British humor is very wordy and you have to be paying attention. The first time I tried to watch this movie, I was put to sleep because I wasn't in a position to listen to all the dialogue and really embrace it the way it should be.

Again, the ending is really what wraps this movie up, it puts an exciting, incredibly hilarious bow on something that is pretty good already and takes it from standard to just down right hilarious in a matter of minutes.

I wish I could say more about this film but the truth is, I had a really, REALLY fun time with this movie. While it won't go down as one of my favorite movies of all time, it still is pretty funny and I would definitely recommend it. Check it out on Netflix next time you're looking for a comedy.

But those are my thoughts, what do you think about Hot Fuzz? Comment and Discuss below! You can also follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 and send me your thoughts on there along with requests for future reviews. I will also be able to give you updates on future movie news and reviews.

I'll leave you with this. This video goes into a little bit of detail on the exact style of Edgar Wright. Now the person who made this video is definitely privy to this style and enjoys it more than other movie styles. I'm not saying its better or worse, its just different and I'm not sure he's saying that either. All he's doing is pointing out the value his his style. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment