Saturday, January 23, 2016

Sisters


I'll just get it out of the way, I don't know if anybody has ever said that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are not hot, or aren't hot anymore, they lied! And nothing is more attractive than a beautiful woman that can make me laugh my ass off.

I've wanted to see Sisters for quite a while actually. Its a movie that I heard about a long time ago when the teaser came out.


I didn't even need to know what this movie was about, all I saw was Tina Fey and Amy Poehler looking like they're having the time of their life and I was sold on this movie. And that teaser came out a year ago. January 2015, isn't that crazy?

But what is Sisters about?

Like I said, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey star in Sisters as, just that, sisters. They are Maura and Kate and they are the absolute opposites. Maura (Poehler) is responsible, Kate is a party animal. Maura is usually the "party mom" taking care of everyone, Kate is the party animal. Maura has a difficult time flirting... and Kate is the party animal.

When their parents decide they're going to sell their childhood home Kate and Maura come back for a few more nights to pack away their childhood memorabilia. These two sisters are in two very different circusmtances with their lives and that's really based on their personalities. Maura is a nurse who is divorced. She is successful with her life but she never really got that time to be wild or be crazy. Whereas Kate has been crazy all of her life and hasn't turned it around and become responsible.

So they decide they're going to have one last party in their childhood home, invite all their friends from high school and have that final rager. A part of it is an opportunity for Maura to be the one to go crazy and Kate to be the "party mom" for a change.

I really liked the first act of this movie. It introduced us to the characters in a really funny way, let us in on their problems, showed them getting ready for the party, and showed us the stage for the second and third act which is their parents already sold house for the party.

... Do you see where this is going yet?

If you don't, watching the movie is like watching a Final Destination movie, you see all these clues to things going wrong and you know at the end of that mouse trap, somebody is going to die... and spoiler its the house.

The second act is mainly the party getting started and them having a great time. The third act is the party already started up and it going to shit very very quickly. The problem with that formula is that this party seemed like it goes on for the length of an actual party. Which sounds awesome, but the thing is I'm not actually at the party dancing and drinking, I'm sitting at a movie wishing I was partying.

Its not that the movie is boring, its just the party just goes on and on. And I get it, that's the point of the movie, but there's so much that happens in the course of a couple hours and without that change of setting, it can feel like the movie drags a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of elements about the party that are a lot of fun. Its just a hodge podge of SNL cast members present and past that come to this party and they're all really, really funny.

The funniest of them all was hands down Bobby Moynihan. This is a guy who probably gets all the shit he deserves for being on SNL the longest and never really seeming to move on like other more successful cast members have done before him and probably will before he finally leaves. However, he was really freaking funny in this movie. I kind of hope that this launches some kind of career for him outside of SNL because my lord, he's been on there forever. But yeah he's really funny in this movie, throughout it. And there are other parts of this movie that I was laughing throughout.

However, there were a lot of parts of this movie that probably could have cut down on the time and made this movie feel a little less bloated.

A good example of this is John Cena.


Yeah John Cena has been making a lot of random cameos in a lot of comedies in the past few months. I don't know if I mentioned this in my review but he made a cameo in Daddy's Home and now he has a glorified cameo in this and honestly, the John Cena joke went too long in this one.

John Cena is a drug dealer to sell them drugs. His purpose could have been just that. Show up, sell them drugs, go away. But for some reason he sticks around...

And yeah its kind of funny cause its John Cena but that joke only goes so long and I definitely think it could have been reduced to him just showing up, making a cameo and leaving. I don't think it would cut A LOT of time off the movie, but its an example of an element of this movie that maybe took it a little too far.

Because while John Cena is selling weed, Bobby Moynihan is high on something else and everyone else is enjoying the party. Maura and Kate have their own personal drama that threads itself in and out of the story that you know is going to come to critical mass at a certain point and because the party is rolling, there's no way to stop it.

Kate has some issues with her daughter. Maura is trying to sleep with a neighbor (played by Ike Barinholtz) and its just going horribly. And I think the best way to describe this drama is this.

Think of a real party.


You're dancing, you're having a good time, the alcohol is affecting you, its all good. And in many ways, that's the feeling you get with the scenes at the party. People are having fun. You're laughing. Its good.

And then you see people do something that even in your inebriated state, you know is going to have bad consequences in the morning. Its kind of annoying, especially if you own the house, but you can bounce back from that.

But then that one girl brings out the drama.


And if you're drunk, this is hilarious. But if your sober, this is not fun. This is annoying. Everyone else if having a vibe and the drama just gets in the way. It can be a mood killer.

But the party picks up again and you're having fun. There are some quiet moments but that does happen at parties so I get that. While everyone else is out partying you can be in a quiet room with a special person, and I get that.

But then again, the dumb shit happens, like someone just going a lot farther than they should.


And again, if you're drunk this is hilarious. But if you're sober, which the majority of the movie going audience is, this is just uncomfortable and just gets tiresome.

This analogy is going on a little bit too long but do you get my point. I've never been a huge fan of movies that focus so much on the huge parties that are thrown because I don't go to the movies drunk. And even if I did, I'm not there partying with these people for half the movie. I'm watching them party which on its own kind of takes me out of it. Again, this analogy went a little too far because the truth is I liked Sisters.

It just has moments were it does drag. There's definitely the point where you just get fatigued with some of the jokes and they don't land as well as they could have at the beginning of the movie.

No matter how much this movie drags, none of the problems are with Poehler and Fey's performances. They are great. Every SNL cast member, from Moynihan, to Rudolph to McKinnon, and all the other ones made me laugh really hard.

And this movie is funny. Some parts more than others, but it is funny. And at the end of the day I think that's all that matters sometimes.

But have you seen Sisters? What did you think? Comment and Discuss below! You can also leave your thoughts on Twitter @cmhaugen24 or you can leave requests for future movies I should review. If you follow me on Twitter you can get updates on new movie news and reviews as well as sometimes live tweets of movies I'm watching at home.

I'll leave you with this. Here's a clip of Fey on Fallon... nothing special just a funny clip. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment