Thursday, February 23, 2017

Keanu


So it is definitely a thing that some movies are going to be funnier if they are watched with other people. I've seen plenty of movies that people have sworn are incredibly funny and when I watch them by myself they aren't as funny. Keanu was a movie that I started and I didn't think it was that funny, and then someone came in and joined me to watch the last act of the film, and suddenly the movie got a lot funnier.

Keanu is a film starring Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, the duo from the Comedy Central show, Key and Peele. These two play cousins who are very straight laced guys. Keegan-Michael Key plays Clarence, a suburban dad who drives a mini van and listens to George Michael. Jordan Peele plays Rell who is a bachelor who just smokes week and watches movies. He doesn't have a lot going for him until one day, there's a small scratch on his door and a little cat comes into his life.


And yes, I'm not even a cat person and I will say this might be the most adorable kitten I have ever seen in my life.

Rell becomes obsessed with the cat and names him Keanu.

The conflict comes when someone breaks into Rell's house and catnaps Keanu from him. And instead of moving on and maybe getting another cat like a normal human being would, Rell decides that he and Clarence are going to find Keanu and bring him home.

In order to do this, they find their way into the lair of a gangster played by Method Man and through a case of mistaken identity, the two of them are mistaken for hardened criminals and are told they need to go on a couple of drug missions for Method Man in order to get Keanu back. All the while they are being hunted by a pair of shady criminals who look strangely like Key and Peele as well.

What I'll say is that for a movie called Keanu, the actual cat is not in this movie as much as I initially thought he was going to be. This could be a good thing as the movie would be different if they had to take care of a cat the entire time. Instead, this movie throws these straight laced guys into a world where they need to act like hard gangsters.

The focus is mainly on these two and a lot of the humor comes from their different personalities. Keegan-Michael Key can be pretty loud and boisterous and definitely carries a lot of the film. But Jordan Peele plays off of him pretty well too. He's more quiet but he does have some funny lines and reactions throughout the film. It's to be expected, especially since these guys work together on their TV show that they would have chemistry. That definitely carries over to the film as they play off each other really well and it really does feel like one giant Key and Peele sketch. '

Now, like the show, some of the sketches are really funny and some of them are not. The same thing goes for this movie. You have moments that are really funny and then you have moments where the jokes fall flat. There's a cameo from Anna Faris in this movie that is actually really funny and then there's the two assassins that are also played by Key and Peele and that isn't always funny.

Overall, I liked Keanu. It's not the greatest comedy of 2016 but overall I just liked the premise. It doesn't feel overly generic like other comedies I saw in 2016. I think it was a good idea to give Key and Peele some movie credits and I'd definitely like to see more films centering around these guys.

It doesn't need to be a Keanu sequel, but I would like to see these guys do more comedy.

But those are my thoughts on Keanu. What did you think? Did you like it? Would you want to see more of Key and Peele on the big screen? Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts on Twitter @cmhaugen24 as well as send me your requests for films I should be reviewing in the future? If you follow me on Twitter, you can get updates on future movie news and reviews coming out of this blog.

I'll leave you with this. I wanted to find at least one Key and Peele sketch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment