Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Marvel's The Defender's Trailer


So I haven't done a review in a hot second and unfortunately it's because I haven't had much time to watch many movies. I've been watching a lot of Doctor Who though. I went back to the first season and I actually am thinking about doing a review on that and give my thoughts on that season. I haven't done a review on Doctor Who for a while and with the news of Peter Capaldi leaving the show, it might be good to look back before I really get into the new season.

However, I do want to do a review, if only a really quick one and a reaction to the new trailer for The Defenders.


I do have to say, it is really cool to see all four of these guys together.

We've seen characters cross over in these series. Rosario Dawson's character has been in each season as her character Claire. But with the exception of Luke Cage in Jessica Jones (and maybe someone who made a cross over in Iron Fist... I'll be honest I haven't finished it) there hasn't been any real cross overs yet that have meant as much as this one does.

It looks really cool to see these four misfits come together and be this super bad ass super team.

The interesting thing about this trailer was that there was nothing really mature rated about it. This did not necessarily feel like the dark series that I've seen in the past, it felt like a comic book movie. Which is good and bad.

On one hand, I have really gotten used to these shows being dark and gritty. While I haven't finished Iron Fist, that is one thing I have noticed, that there isn't as much mature content and it feels more like a comic book. I'm sure that once The Defenders actually airs, it will display the same grittiness and matureness that I saw in shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones and less of the comic book campiness from the first two episodes of Iron Fist.

Another thing that I really like from this trailer is the very little set up it offers and yet at the same time it is showing exactly what we needed to know to go into this season.

Obviously, there is the team up. Like I said, seeing all four on screen together is pretty cool. But the conflict and villains in the series is something that is very intriguing.

As expected, The Hand is back and it is clear that they are bringing Elecktra (played by Elodie Yung) as a sort of villain. Which was to be expected when she "died" in the second season of Daredevil and The Hand put her in that catacomb or whatever. I personally liked Elodie Yung as Elecktra and I'm glad they'll be bringing her back. I don't really know how she will manage to be a threat against a team, especially one with Luke Cage in it. If his series showed me anything, it's that nothing really can kill him. But it's good to see returning characters back.

And of course the biggest conflict is that of Sigourney Weaver being the villain.

I don't know what Weaver's role in the whole thing is going to be and frankly I don't care right now. I think they handled her appearance in the trailer perfectly. They showed us that she is going to be the villain, she looks bad ass, but I have absolutely no idea what she's going to do as the villain or what her plot is.

That is what you need when you make a trailer like this. Keep it vague, show some of the conflict but not all of it, just enough to keep the audience wondering and get me pumped for when this show finally drops.

As I've mentioned, the team looks really great together, but more importantly, it doesn't seem like any of the characters (based off the trailer alone) lose their personality by being in a team. They seem like they're going to clash and that was expected to happen, especially with these 4.

Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil are all characters that are really well done characters and it's good to see them again, especially Jessica Jones who we haven't seen since 2015. I think not only will these four look really good fighting side by side, but I think they're going to play off one another very well. They all are phenomenal solo acts and great as individuals. The intrigue is going to be when they all come together and have to interact with one another. It could be great, it could go terribly. I don't know. But I'm excited to check it out.

Now... you may have noticed that I really haven't talked about Iron Fist yet...


Here's the dilemma I find myself in...

I'm already really not interested in watching the rest of Iron Fist. I have finished 2 of 13 episodes and I am really dragging my feet on watching the rest of it. The trailer for the most part was a reminder that I needed to finish that season before I could start this, so in a way it's a motivator to push through and watch it.

But even in this trailer I already hate Iron Fist more.

I might have mentioned this in the review I did for the pilot of Iron Fist, but I really hate the character already. I call him Hipster Tyrell. In the few episodes I have seen, he comes off as an immature idiot who sounds like a crazy person with all the mumbo jumbo he mentions about being the immortal Iron Fist... and then he goes off and mentions it in this trailer.

This is a really good trailer, especially for a Netflix series, especially one trying to recreate the same magic that The Avengers did, but for TV series. I just can't quite get over the feeling that Marvel really screwed up Iron Fist, and now it's too late to get him killed off or something. Maybe they would have done that in this series if they knew how much of a bomb the first season of Iron Fist was going to be but now it's too late and we're stuck with stupid Danny Rand.

I mean Netflix is supposed to come out with a season for The Punisher, a very popular character played by Jon Bernthal in the second season of Daredevil as well. I mean can't you imagine this Defenders poster with these characters instead?


I should lay off knocking Iron Fist, I'm sure that that show has already garnered enough criticism from the people who have actually watched all 13 episodes, that was the only thing that bothered me about this trailer.

But what did you think? Are you excited for The Defenders? Is there anything that was missing from that trailer? What would you like to see happen to these heroes? Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts on Twitter @cmhaugen24 as well as send me your requests for films and TV shows I should review in the future. If you follow me on Twitter, you can get updates on future movie news and reviews coming out of this blog.

I'll leave you with this. So I wanted to put the trailer for the new Dark Tower movie up for my last video, but you know me, I can't always do that on my blog. So instead I'm going to leave The link to that video here and instead you get a funny video that Dan Harmon, the creator of Rick and Marty and Community made a while ago. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment