Sunday, November 11, 2018

She's Out of My League


So I swear that I've been watching more interesting stuff lately. I'm two episodes away from finishing The Haunting of Hill House and I'm really looking forward to sharing my thoughts on that. I'm also planning on renting a couple of movies that came out last year that I hadn't gotten around to so hopefully I'll knock that out this month.

But Netflix has dropped a bunch of movies this month and we're almost half way through the month. I thought I'd get at least one review in to at least try and combat the reality that I am lazy and don't produce nearly enough content on this blog.

She's Out of My League centers on Kirk (played by Jay Baruchel). Kirk is a little bit of a loser. He's uncoordinated. He's awkward, but overall he's a good guy. Pretty typical underdog in a romantic comedy. He works for TSA with his friend Stainer (played by TJ Miller), and some other friends at the airport. Kirk has been trying to get back together with his girlfriend Marnie (played by Lindsey Sloane) for two years.

Then one day, he comes across the gorgeous Molly (played by Alice Eve), an event coordinator who loses her phone at security when she's going off on a flight. She asks Kirk to hold onto it and give it back to her when she's back in town. Through a couple of interactions the two have, Kirk figures out that Molly is into him and the two hit it off and start dating.

The rest of the film is essentially people looking at their relationship and looking in awe on how Kirk (a 5) could get Molly (a "hard 10"). Supplemented by what seems like all the popular pop songs about love from the early 2000's.

 And yeah, they really chose two people that anybody on the street would say, they don't look like they would ever actually be together. Not only because Jay Baruchel is a funny looking guy and Alice Eve is drop dead gorgeous, but because they two really don't have any chemistry whatsoever.

I get it, the whole movie is joking about how Alice Eve is gorgeous but this movie would work if these two actually felt like they connected. Instead the majority of the movie are these two having short conversations to acknowledge that they both exist, and then its supplemented by montages of them laughing together and having conversations we never hear the subject of. THEN, Jay goes back to his stupid friends and they give early non-funny TJ Miller the chance to riff on how hot Alice Eve is and how ugly Jay Baruchel is. That is essentially the one joke throughout the entire movie.

It's not the worst movie ever. There were a couple of moments that I laughed because some good writing actually broke through, but overall the movie didn't do a whole lot for me.

I'm really glad Jay Baruchel is doing well with voice acting because he's a lot better at that with movies like How to Train Dragon than this.

And Alice Eve... Oh Alice. For some reason she is always brought on when they want to have a really hot girl get into a bra for little to no reason. It happened in Star Trek Into Darkness, and it happened here.

Yes, she is incredibly attractive. But they give her no personality beyond just being a hot woman who inexplicably has a thing for dopey Jay Baruchel. Also her accent bleeds through and I find it funny.

The movie carries on like a typical romantic comedy. There is nothing really new about it besides flipping some normal rom com conventions on their head at the end but the truth is the third act is just as predictable as every other rom com out there. It has that falling out between the two main characters that occurs for reasons that would never happen in real life ever but of course things need to go great and then they go terribly so they can get back together in the end and everything is happy. I watched this movie a while ago when it first came out and I remember it being contrived last time and its contrived now.

Overall, She's Out of My League is a standard romantic comedy that tries to be a dude comedy in the vein of 40 Year Old Virgin. It's not funny, but it is kind of funny seeing a lot of these actors who have gone off to do bigger and better things when they were really young about 8 years ago. Krysten Ritter (who plays Jessica Jones) is in this film... she's not overly good... but that's fun. And it focuses too much on the relationship between Jay Baruchel and his weird friends than actually give anybody in this movie a real personality.

My recommendation: Skip this one. There are much better comedies from the 2000's then this film. It has not aged well...

But those are my thoughts on She's Out of My League. What did you think? Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts on Twitter @MovieSymposium as well as send me your requests for films I should review in the future. If you follow me on Twitter, you can get updates on future movie news and reviews coming out of this blog.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment