Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Fantastic 4 Trailer


So this is the film. This is the film that everyone has been shitting on for months, I'd say ever years. This is the film that people have been saying nothing but negative things about. This is the film that, besides the principal casting, has had little to no information leaked out it. This is The Fantastic 4.

The Fantastic 4 have been on the big screen before, I reviewed the movie a long time ago and I think I gave it a nice review. I didn't say the movie was good, I just didn't dig into it as much as I should have. That being said, I don't think the original Fantastic Four was the worst superhero film ever made, it just was in that time when people didn't take superhero films that seriously and the truth is, I don't think they took this movie seriously when they were making it.

But now that everyone is making cinematic universes and Fox is doing incredibly better than Sony and want to stay that way, they feel its time to reboot the Fantastic Four and make it the film that apparently everyone wants.

Me, I'm not a huge fan of The Fantastic Four. A group of four with decent powers that go and fight the cosmos, its not exactly the kind of superheroes I'm totally interested in, or have been interested in in the past. Maybe its the bias from the original film, maybe its just that I don't know that much about the team, I don't know, I just know I'm not a huge fan of the Fantastic Four.

But since we're basically in the golden age of comic book movies and I really liked X-men: Days of Future Past, I'm willing to be interested in anything Fox throws at me. I don't have high hopes for Fantastic Four but I'll still go see the movie and hope that maybe they could turn things around.

Then this trailer dropped.


The best way to describe what I think this movie is going to end up being is: This movie is trying to be the Interstellar of the comic book movies.

That's really all I could think of when I was watching this trailer. There's this voice over, talking about humans innate desire to explore and discover. But that discovery comes with a cost. Blah di Blah Di Blah.

I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at in this trailer, but the ambiance, the visuals, and the over all feel of the movie trailer grabs my curiosity. I'm not saying the movie is going to be great just from that trailer, especially with how trailers are these days. But it has the potential to not be bad.

That's the funny part about this film, everyone kind of thinks its going to be bad just on the casting and the few rumors that they've heard of it. I'll reserve any judgement until I am in the theater watching it, but from what I've seen of the trailer, it has the potential to not be bad.

I'm still somewhat out on the cast. Mainly because I don't know these actors that well. The two I know the most are Kate Mara and Jamie Bell.

Kate Mara, I'm really looking forward to. She's great in House of Cards. She's attractive, I've known her since she was an annoying analyst in 24. I'm 100% down for her playing a super heroine. I don't say I'm 100% down with her playing Sue Storm because honestly I don't know anything about Sue Storm.

The other one I'm most familiar with is Jamie Bell... and I'm not excited about Jamie Bell. Now this is really only based off his performance in Jumper, and going back to that film, I really didn't like him in that. I'm sure he's done more and I do need to go and look at more of his stuff to give him a fair chance... but for now I'm a little wary.

The other two I really only know by reputation. Luckily, their reputation is a good one. But again, its the same thing with Kate Mara. Regardless of whether or not I know these people are good actors or not, i don't know their character. I don't know if Miles Teller is suppose to be a good Reed Richards. If I hadn't watched the first Fantastic Four, I wouldn't have known that Johnny Storm was white in the comics. Therefore I really don't know if putting Michael B Jordan in the role is going to change things up so much.

The only thing that is kind of offsetting is how young these guys are. Especially in the trailer, them being young is not made any better by the trailer. I get that they're trying to go young so that they can grow into the roles but honestly, I can't remember a time when that actually happened and it worked. Its not a huge issue for me, but I see where people might have a problem with that if they know the characters to be older, especially with what you see in this trailer.

Honestly, you don't see much in this trailer. You see them crawl around in space suits, they show all the characters which I guess was a good thing. And they show a little bit of their power but really not that much at all. Its a teaser, what do you expect?

What I will say is...


This was kind of cool. I don't know why, just seeing all four of them in a row like that, pretty cool.

Overall, I think it was a good idea to finally release a trailer, even though I still have no idea what this movie is going to be about, its good to know that the movie is actually happening and hopefully this will get the haters to quiet down a little bit. I think it was a better trailer than Ant-man, but overall it wasn't anything spectacular.

Check out the trailer yourself and let me know what you think? Comment below or shoot me a tweet @cmhaugen24 and follow me so you can get updates on future blog posts.

Here's the trailer, Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment