Friday, July 19, 2013

The Fantastic Four


Believe it or not, I never actually saw The Fantastic 4 when it originally came out in 2005. Watching it now, I realize its a pretty fun more. Its fun seeing Chris Evans before he was Captain America and its always a good day when Jessica Alba wears a V neck jumpsuit.

I give the movie credit for being amongst the first modern day good superhero movies. Surprisingly enough, this movie came out the same year as Batman Begins.

It follows the story of four scientists/astronauts who are apart of a freak accident that gives them all super powers. Another surprising part of the movie is that half of it is just them adjusting to their powers. Each member of the group have their own problems. The Thing has his problems with looking like a giant rock and wanting to be normal. Johnny Storm wants to have his time in the sun and enjoy his powers. Reed Richards and Sue Storm have their relationship issues and sometimes these stories overlap. Meanwhile their nemesis Doctor Doom is developing his own powers and seeking revenge for the 4  ruining his business with their experiment.

The movie itself is pretty campy. They do a pretty good job with the development of Ben Grimm and his feelings toward being the guy who got the short end of the stick. Chris Evans is actually pretty funny even though I don't really like Johnny Storm. Ioan Gruffudd works as Mr. Fantastic but he's kind of a bland character. Sue Storm was kind of the same but... its Jessica Alba you can't really complain. And the origin of Dr. Doom made sense, there were just a few things that were kind of silly. Like the fact he just had the mask right there ready to go. Also why he had a random heat seeking missile just ready to go. It was probably for the convenience to give Johnny Storm his flying effects but again, kind of campy. I also thought it was very funny how they pulled a Raiders of the Lost Ark with him at the end of the movie. Watch the movie and you'll figure out what I mean.

Overall, The Fantastic Four is a fun movie. I'll probably give it a 5 out of 10 merely for the sake of entertainment not because it was overly a great movie. The humor was good, the action, where it was was fun. I'll have to watch Silver Surfer soon but I've heard mixed reviews about it. It obviously wasn't quite good enough to merit a third sequel but I'll determine that when I watch it.

The movie is by no means bad. I've seen worse Superhero movies. Its just a hard subject. The Fantastic Four is such an odd team from the Marvel Universe and even today people don't really care for them. The movie wasn't ground breaking, I don't even know if it deserved a sequel. Does it deserve a reboot?


20th Century Fox announced they'll be rebooting the four superheroes sometime in 2015. 

Now this is a logical choice for Fox, as Disney is making a crap load of money off of the Avengers and characters they own, for them to try and make their own connectivity with the characters they own. Fox has characters from the Marvel Universe that are just sitting there not making them any money. I am still of the belief that Disney and Fox should settle their differences and combine all the forces they have but we all know it will be a long time before that happens. (Unless it happens in "The Wolverine", my fingers are still crossed) The way I see it, it's only a matter of time before DC gets their shit together and let's not forget that Warner Bros has the rights to ALL the characters of DC. Its not spread across three companies, they have ALL the characters. If Marvel doesn't get their characters together, DC will have that advantage... you know if they ever get their shit together and make my Justice League movie.

I wish I could give an ideal cast but chances are my picks would be just awful. I didn't read the Fantastic 4 comics and to be honest I just saw the entire first movie about 15 minutes ago. I personally thought the casting was great and I don't know how they're going to top it in the reboot. From different rumors I've heard, they're going in a little bit of different direction with some of the characters and the rumors I've heard is that they're not big name actors. Which the movie goer in me loves because I love actually seeing movies with people I don't know. However from a financial aspect, no name actors don't sell movies. Regardless, the movie is still a couple years away and there's a lot of time before it actually comes to fruition.

If you have any ideas of who you think should be in the new Fantastic 4 reboot, comment and let me know. Also if you want to see more posts about comic books movies, or movies in general, if you like what you see, please say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment