Sunday, July 28, 2013

Marvel news


I feel as though I have given a lot of attention to DC and 20th Century Fox. So much that I almost feel like I've betrayed the studio that really got me going on my Superhero summer and has really been keeping my interest in comic book movies alive for the past few years: Marvel/Disney.

I'm sure nobody is saying they didn't bring it at Comic-con because I think they did. But its hard when a live action movie about two of the most iconic superheroes facing off is coming out in a different studio. I get that.

Now to clarify, I did not attend Comic-con this year. I haven't ever attended a Comic-con. This year has made me regret that decision. This has been a great reveal year and I want to go next year.

But I feel I should pay my respects to the people who's shit has always been together and talk about the Avengers 2: Age of Ultron and everything that is going to lead up to it.

I think Marvel is going to do exactly what they do best and prepare for this movie just like they did for phase 1. We've already had Iron Man 3. We're going to have the sequels to Thor and Captain America. But then there's going to be Guardians of the Galaxy.


The Guardians of the Galaxy is the wild card in this mix. I heard someone online say that its Star Wars if Marvel had taken it on. Its a team of misfits that make the Guardians of the Galaxy. You've got Starlord or Peter Quill, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, Groot (basically an ent) and then you have Rocket Raccoon.


This character I think basically epitomizes the peculiarness of the Guardians of the Galaxy. For people who do not read comic books on a regular basis (myself included) this movie just seems very odd and out there. What isn't known often is that the world of sci fi and superheroes mix more than expected. The truth is, Joss Whedon is taking this next Avengers movie into a totally new direction.

Before I move on, I must say one thing about Rocket Raccoon... the hell is that thing? I hope they're going to imagine him as similar to Conker in that he's not a lovable comic relief character, no, Rocket Raccoon better be my favorite character in this movie. Otherwise he's going to end up like the Jar Jar Binks of Marvel and I will not stand for that.

One thing that I will say I am very excited for when it comes to Guardians is the fact that Karen Gillan (Doctor Who) is going to be in this movie. She actually shaved her head for the role of Nebula, a space pirate. When I saw she pulled off a wig at Comic-con, I got a little more serious about this.

Moving on, Joss Whedon came out and announced the new title for the new Avengers movie.


2015 is going to be a phenomenal year for comic book movies.

Now this movie suggests that Ultron is going to be the villain for the next Avengers. I originally had no idea who Ultron was untill I looked it up. Apparently Ultron is a maniacal robot created by Hank Pym (or Ant Man) as a project gone wrong.

However, Joss Whedon also made the announcement that Hank Pym, or Ant Man is not going to be present until the third phase of the Avengers series. He also announced that there is going to be a new origin story for Ultron. Now for me, I don't really care, but I understand how this might make some fans angry.


Now the question is how is Ant Man going to fit into this movie universe? Creating Ultron is a perfect entrance into the universe but thats not how its going to turn out. There have been talks of having Tony Stark create Ultron.

Regardless, the next few Avengers movies are going to change the tone of the franchise. Its going to be darker but it will go more into a sci fi arena. I think the direction of Joss Whedon can make the sci fi element relatable to a lot of audiences that usually wouldn't like it, but I think they're going to lose some movie goers who don't like Super heroes going too sci fi.

But who needs those guys. The next phase of Avengers is going to be awesome.

Hank Pym: My picks might be Armie Hammer. The big hope that a lot of people want is Nathan Fillion. Frankly I don't know the background of Hank Pym so I don't know if either are good choices. I just hope that Ant Man is a character correct for Fillion. I want him to get his part and Ant Man doesn't always strike me as that part. However, I could be very very wrong.

What do you think of Marvel's Comic-Con announcements? Do you like the direction Whedon's taking the Avengers? Who do you think should be Ant-Man? Let me know


No comments:

Post a Comment