Friday, March 4, 2016

Ghostbusters trailer


So I’ve heard a lot about this Ghostbusters reboot but I don’t know how excited I was about it. It sounded at least a little bit interesting but I can’t say I was over the top excited about it. If you go back to my review of the original Ghostbusters, you may figure out that I’ve never really been a huge fan of The Ghostbusters because I just never saw it at the right time. So while I was interested in a reboot, it was mainly because I really like the women they casted for this movie. Apart from them, I wasn’t really interested in the reboot.

And then I saw this trailer. This movie looks awesome!

First off its become a thing now with these reboots of old 80’s movies for them always to start off with a quiet piano version of the classic themes. It started with Jurassic World and it continues with this trailer.

I think when this trailer started off, I didn’t necessarily think all the jokes to start off were that great. It’s not like they were bad, I just wasn’t laughing my ass off. The larger appeal that this trailer had was more of how this was going to be a paranormal adventure. We obviously live in a time and age that the Ghostbusters might look great on the big screen again.

But then the very end when Leslie Jones yelled, “THE POWER OF PAIN COMPELS YOU” to exorcize a ghost out of Melissa McCarthy, I almost laughed out loud at work.

The biggest draw I think I see in this movie is the cast. The women they casted for this new team are absolutely fantastic. You know you’re in for a good time when you think Melissa McCarthy might be the “weak link” in this group.

Again, I’m not a huge fan of the Ghostbusters in general, but the minute they start blasting the classic Ghostbusters theme, I was getting pumped, I was ready to go! I’m excited for a movie starring a lot of really talented women who have proven themselves to be funny, as well as a really cool adventure story in a familiar universe.

Now, there’s a couple of issues that I have with this movie. The first one is that it might just be a rehash of the original. If we’ve learned anything from Star Wars and Creed it is that it is very easy to reboot a franchise, do the exact same film that came out in the 70s or 80s and those movies will be successful. I don’t mean to say those movies were bad, but I want new and original ideas that are just as good, if not better than just rehashing what has been done before.

The other issue that I have with this movie is the full female cast. Now before you go to the comments saying I hate women, hear me out. Ghostbusters is not the worst property to be rebooted with an all female cast, but I do see the possibility of it starting a trend of rebooting a lot of properties with all female casts. This problem isn’t so much this movie’s fault, it just has the potential to create long term consequences. I’ve heard rumors of an all female Oceans 11 reboot and while I want women to get more roles in Hollywood, I would much rather see an original idea with an all female cast more than a reboot with an all female cast. Let’s create some new iconic properties instead of just rehashing the same stuff but with women.

Again, The Ghostbusters isn’t the worst property to do this kind of reboot, especially after I saw this trailer, I just don’t want it to set a precedent that we need to reboot old properties to get women roles, instead of making up new compelling roles instead.

But overall, this trailer has made me really excited about this new Ghostbusters movie. It makes me want to go back and rewatch the old movies to become more familiar with the tone and theorize where they could go with this reboot.

This is gonna be a pretty short review for two reasons. The first is that the trailer itself is pretty short. But also there’s not much more to speak until more news is confirmed and until the movie itself comes out. I get the feeling that with the success of comic book movies and franchise movies that they will try and make the Ghostbusters some kind of shared universe, but I won’t comment on that until that has been totally confirmed and they actually have a plan for this.


But what do you think? Do you think this trailer looks good? How do you think its going to be connected to the original? And most importantly, are Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, and Ernie Hudson going to make appearances in this new movie? Comment and Discuss below!

You can also send me your thoughts via Twitter @cmhaugen24 as well as requests for movies or trailers I should review in the future. If you follow me on Twitter you can also get updates on future movie news and reviews coming from this blog.

I'll leave you with this. Here's the original trailer for the first Ghostbusters just to give you all an idea of where we came from. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment