Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World


Familiar disclaimer: I've never read the Scott Pilgrim comics. I don't know anything about them or how close to them the movie gets. I'm basing this only off of the movie.

Back in 2010, when Michael Cera still looked like a teenager and was popular enough to pull off the quirky teen or twenty something, he and a bunch of actors who have seen become way more popular than this movie ever expected them to be, came together and made a little comic book movie called Scott Pilgrim vs The World... and it bombed at the box office. I barely remember this movie and while I haven't seen Nick and Norah's infinite playlist, the titles sound oddly similar but couldn't be any more different.

The movie follows the story of Scott Pilgrim (played by Cera), a musician Michael Cera type who is gets more women than anybody with the demeanor and mannerisms of Michael Cera would ever get in real life. He begins a relationship with a mysterious girl by the name of Romona Flowers (played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead) but figures out that the only way to date her is by defeating seven of her exes. Scott engages in highly stylized video game-like battle with her ex while learning a lot about relationships and interactions that I think a lot of people can relate to.

First and foremost, the most remarkable thing about this film is Edgar Wright's direction. Edgar Wright has a long history of really stylized directing but he takes that and gives a comic book/ video game feel to refine the story. Lot of times when I watch these movies I try to multitask and do other things while I watch it, but I figured out pretty quickly that this is not the kind of movie you multitask during, or you're going to miss some really great visual storytelling.

Another great part of the movie is the cast. Now I do have some particular thoughts on certain performances that I think hurt the film, but it is definitely worth mentioning that this film has a lot of talented people attached to it at a time when they were less known. Michael Cera was at the height of his powers at the time, but actresses like Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Brie Larson, Anna Kendrick, Allison Pill, and Aubrey Plaza were relatively unknown at the time and it's fun seeing them do a great job at the start of their careers. I won't say this jump started their careers but it's fun seeing them in their humble beginnings.

The other funny aspect of the film was how they utilized actors who were somewhat known but revitalized them a little bit. 2010 was four years after Brandon Routh's go as Superman and I think it was always funny seeing him in different roles after that. Chris Evans as a small role where he does a weird Ben Stiller impression which is kind of fun, and that's just to name a few of the actors that contributed to a movie that nobody really saw back when it came out.

The main reason I think that was the case is because I'm not sure people really knew what to make of this film back in 2010. I'm not totally sure people know what to make of it now either because it does command a bit of a niche audience. I don't know anybody who would say this is Edgar Wright's best film and it seems to be so specifically made for fans of the comic and specific video game/anime cliches that I could see someone not being interested.


There were parts of this movie I really dug. I love the style and the references but there were some things about the story that I wasn't really wild about and unfortunately it mainly surrounds Michael Cera, both in the way his character was written and the performance.

The 2000's were a great decade for Michael Cera. We accepted that all his characters were gonna be the awkward nerdy thin kid who we all could relate to and we ate it up! From Arrested Development to Superbad and Juno, Michael Cera was always gonna be that quirky dude who always had the dry retort and was just so much of a sad sack that you had to root for him.

Scott Pilgrim is a great representation of how that generic Michael Cera-type character eventually evolved. As he grew older, his characters kept the same innocence and awkwardness, but developed an undeserving arrogance and asshole tendencies that we kind of forgave because he was so awkward and seemingly innocent.

Scott Pilgrim is an asshole in this movie.

One of the main plot lines is that he initially has a relationship with a high school girl named Knives Chau (played by Ellen Wong). Beyond the fact that a 22 year old dating a 17 year old is kind of weird, Knives only adores Scott and he treats her like shit to go after a girl he barely knows anything about.

Part of the evolution of this character is that she goes from this sweet girl to an obsessive fan who kind of stalks Scott and I don't think it's a great character arc especially since it kind of sweeps the fact that Scott is an asshole under the rug. Now the way he deals with his relationship is kind of the moral of the movie, but everything wraps itself up somewhat too perfectly and there's two different endings where Scott gets the girl in both when reality would dictate that both of them should tell him to F right off.

Granted I'm arguing reality in a movie that has Michael Cera fighting Chris Evans in a mortal combat style duel, but I'm just saying it makes the morals lose their edge when Michael Cera only sort of learns his lesson.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is not a masterpiece. There are definitely flaws in the movie (one of which is not having nearly enough Anna Kendrick, but that's a personal preference). However, I do think it is a really fun and unique experience. This is not a regular run of the mill comic book movie experience and I do think it is a sort of hidden gem in what is available on Netflix these days.

I do recommend checking it out for, at the very least, getting a feel for Edgar Wright's fantastic direction and cinematography and a fun cast at the beginning of their illustrious careers.

But those are my thoughts on Scott Pilgrim vs The World. What do you think of it? How does it compare to the comic if you've read it? I feel like that was an aspect of the film I couldn't speak to. Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts on Twitter @MovieSymposium as well as send me your requests for films I should review in the future. If you follow me on Twitter, you can get updates on future movie news and reviews coming out of this blog.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment