Saturday, October 18, 2014

Civil War and DC Future

GAAAAAHHHHHHH

Of course all this news comes out when I'm in South Africa and I have a paper I need to write and I haven't written anything in blog form about my experience out here and somehow I'm just drawn back here.

GAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Anyways, so there's been a lot of news circulating around Facebook because that's usually where I get my news. Now to clarify, I subscribe to a blog that pretty much anybody can post on and anybody can say anything. Usually its about comic books and comic book movies. But what I've found is that these posts are more than often speculation, someone hears a rumor and has a title like Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars??!?!?! And I get really excited but then I realize that unless there's a period on there, its not real news. Guardians and Star Wars is not going to be a thing and I hate these people for making me think that that awful idea might be a possibility just because something in Guardians was similar to a rumor they heard about Star Wars. (This is a fake situation so I'm not drawing this from anything)

But I finally heard the big news surrounding DC and Marvel that came out this week and I felt compelled to give my thoughts on it.

The great part about this news is that it still shows that Marvel is the powerhouse in this combination. Sure, maybe there's a possibility that, if this DC news pans out that it could actually be competing the the future but... well let me explain.


So Marvel really hasn't announced that much. Basically the only news that has come out with Marvel is that there's a certain character we all know and love who is going to be in the 3rd installment of Captain America in 2016.

Tony Stark is going to be appearing in the 3rd Captain America and its sounding more and more that its going to be a versus movie between him and Captain America. Now everyone in the comic book world is speculating that because they're going to be pitted against each other it means that it is obviously going to be an adaptation of the Marvel Civil War comics. Now I've only heard a couple times about this comic book but it creates a divide between the Avengers on the issue of a Superhero registration act. Tony Stark supports the government, Captain America doesn't. They fight, and you have Civil War.

Now, in all likeliness, its going to be some kind of adaptation of Civil War. I don't have the attachment to Civil War that a lot of people do some I'm warily cautious about this. Its just a few questions like, is it Civil War or is it just a versus movie between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers to offset Batman v Superman? Better question, is this a versus movie or is it a Civil War that will carry on past the 3rd Captain America movie? Theories that I've heard is that the ball starts moving in Avengers 2 with Ultron, then the War begins in Captain America 3 and what I would guess is that it resolves itself and there's reconciliation in Avengers 3 in order to fight Thanos. That's how I imagine that happening if those theories I've heard have been correct. The problem with it is that suddenly everything between Cap 3 and Avengers 3 puts the Avengers in disarray, everyone is against each other as this Civil War wages.

It also begs the question is somebody going to die at the end of this Civil War, somebody important? Is Captain America going to die, freeing Chris Evans of his contract? Is Iron Man going to die? You just don't know! And all this news comes out and...

You know what... this is exactly the reason Marvel is king right now. Just the news of a casting, not confirming that it is the Civil War storyline or confirming anything about the rest of the cinematic universe. The only thing confirmed is that Tony Stark is going to be in Captain America 3 and he's more than likely going to be the antagonist. I love it!

The more and more I think about it the more and more I love the idea and just have to commend Marvel. There is no doubt that they have a plan in mind and they know exactly where they're going. They won't tell us for years to come but with one piece of news about Captain America 3, a sequel to a movie that was at one time considered to be the weakest of the Marvel franchise, is now blowing up blogs like this and causing fans to speculate, squirm in anticipation, and on a marketing level, promise more and more people in the theater seats come 2016. Well done Marvel, well freaking done.

But then we go to DC.


Exciting shit happening at DC these days. I applauded Marvel because with all the movies they have in the works, all the movies they've done so far and all the capital they have earned, its no doubt that they have a plan. But DC, up until now has not given concrete proof that they have a plan.

But now DC comes out with this line up to me, it looks phenomenal.


I'm going to talk about each of these as quickly but as thoroughly as I can. But lets just look at that lineup. Till 2020! I have to imagine that while we only have this lineup, those guys at DC have this list and a flow chart showing exactly where each story is going to go and where its going to lead... at least that's what I really hope as a DC fanboy.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I'm just going to leave a list of links because I've talked about this movie time and time again.
First Look at Wonder Woman
Rumored DC Movies
The New Lex Luthor
When Batfleck was announced
Batman v Superman announced

Granted a lot of these posts are a little old but you can see that I've written a lot on this. I intend to do another post soon on this movie but even now I'm kind of just ready for this movie to happen. I don't know why they moved the release date to 2016 but I guess we'll just have to wait a full year for this movie to come out.


Suicide Squad 2016

I don't know anything about this film or this comic. Apparently its a lot of anti heroes doing covert jobs for the government. Harley Quinn is in it but we don't know if she's going to be in the movie. Although it would be silly for her not to be. 

Personally I think this is DC trying to draw attention away from Sony's Sinister 6. I'm not quite sure why, with the failure of Spider-man 2 Sinister 6 just sounds more and more like a last ditch effort to compete with Marvel. While Sony has done better than DC in regards to Superhero films, I'm sure they know DC is going to surpass them any day now. 

Overall, I still don't know anything about Suicide Squad. There have been some casting rumors including Tom Hardy and Will Smith but I'll talk about this more as more information comes out. Moving on. 

Wonder Woman 2017

THANK YOU DC! THANK YOU!

For once in your life you were smart and did something Marvel has not done yet. You have
confirmed a female superhero film. Kevin Fiege has speculated, there's been outcry for a Black Widow or Miss Marvel movie but they haven't confirmed anything. For the first time in your slow starting life, you have decided to make the first move. The move that we all wanted you to make a long time ago but for some reason you just haven't.

So Gal Gadot is going to get her own film... am I nervous about that? Yes. I need to see her in Batman v Superman, I need to watch the Fast and Furious movies (I've been saying that for a long time haven't I?)

Read this post. This is one of my favorites and it gives my ideal situation for Wonder Woman in the DC universe and how I want it to go. And DC made the right decision. They put Wonder Woman in her own standalone film and THEN do Justice League.

Again, Gal Gadot holding her own movie is a matter for another day but its so good to see DC making smart choices.

Justice Leage: Part 1 2017

Now we all knew there was going to be a Justice League movie but we didn't know that they were
going to do it in Parts. Now I imagine that even though its called Part 1 and 2, they're still going to be similar to Avengers in that they're different movies.

Here's my theory. The antagonist and conflict within Justice League 1 is going to be left unresolved in the first part. It's still its own movie and its not like the 7th Harry Potter movie where, if you watched both movies it would complete a full story, I just think the conflict is going to be so big, its going to have to be broken up.

Now an interesting direction they could go is create the conflict and actually make it a two parter. The thing about it is the second part isn't coming out till 2019. So do you create a storyline, stop it half way through, do your other films between as origin stories or place them prior to the Justice League films and then just come back to it in 2019?

I say no.

But it would be a different way of doing things which lets be honest, DC needs some innovation. So Justice League is going to be in two parts. What two parts actually means but well done DC for putting me in almost as much disarray as Marvel did.

2018: Flash and Aquaman


That's the Flash...

This is Ezra Miller. The best thing I know him from is Perks of Being a Wallflower. Don't get me wrong, he was good in the film but it kind of makes me wonder what direction they're going for for the Flash. I'm not saying its going to be bad, I'm just curious.

There's also been questions of the Flash TV show and... well I didn't think that was a good idea anyway. Here's my rant on DC TV

Frankly, I'm glad they have a Flash for the cinematic Universe, I just don't quite know about the choice. Again, that doesn't mean I don't like Miller, I'm just cautiously skeptical.

But the more important news is the Jason Momoa has been confirmed as Aquaman.

I don't need to say much about this besides the fact that I love it so, so, so, so much.

Talk about a contrast between films. You've got Perks of Being a Wallflower playing The Flash and Khal Drogo playing Aquaman. Needless to say, 2018 is going to be a good year.

The only reason I'm still talking about it is because this picture is really big and I need to fill up space because I want to do a picture of the next thing. But honestly, I don't have much else to say about Jason Momoa playing Aquaman. I didn't really think about it when I heard Jason Momoa was going to be involved with a DC project, but the minute that I heard he was going to be Aquaman, and it was confirmed, to me, it just made sense.

They're obviously trying to make Aquaman more hardcore and awesome that people usually think he is. And I love it.

Now to say one thing, I hope to god this is better than Conan the Barbarian. Momoa may have done a good job as Khal Drogo but I hope he can carry it over to Aquaman. I think he can but Conan makes me nervous. Read the review and you'll see why.

2019: Shazam and Justice League Part 2. 

I'm not gonna say much about Justice League part 2 because... I said everything that needs to be said about Part 1.

But Shazam is the part that interests me.

I know this was confirmed a while ago but apparently The Rock is going to be playing Black Adam.

I can't really say yet if that's a good idea to put him as the villain mainly because a part of me wanted him to have his own movie and I would have been fine with him being Shazam.

Then again, I'm still unsure on whether or not I like him as an actor. So maybe him being the menacing villain for a chance from the fun light roles he's been having lately is a good thing. I don't know, we'll just have to see.

I'm picking up a lot of fan art on google and I'm loving this one especially. He looks good as Black Adam. Maybe Shazam can just go away and Black Adam can take his place in the Justice League. I don't know, while I'm still unsure about Dwayne Johnson, recently I just want to like him. I want him to be good, I want him to join this cinematic universe and be an icon to it. Maybe its just wishful thinking but who knows.

2020 Cyborg and Green Lantern.

I can't say anything about Ray Fisher as Cyborg. Nobody can say anything about Ray Fisher as Cyborg. Nobody knows who the fuck Ray Fisher is.

But that's okay. Cause I like the idea of giving a totally new face a start up role as long as he does it well. And screw it, if they can give him a good story and start up in movies like Batman v Superman, and he does a good job, why not do a Cyborg standalone film.

You can talk about how this is one of the first superhero films featuring a person of color but honestly, its 2020, I'm not going to give DC too much credit for putting the black superhero at the end of their lineup.

Especially if their Green Lantern is John Stewart.

Now again, DC didn't give anymore details then the dates and the lineup. They didn't say if Ryan Reynolds is going to come back as the Green Lantern. They didn't say whether or not it would be Hal Jordan or John Stewart.

We just don't know.

Its been three years since the Green Lantern. By the time he shows up, it could be 6 and that's if he shows up in the Justice League. Say he doesn't show up until his standalone film in 2020? That's 9 years. I mean if they're trying to shed the stigma of Ryan Reynolds, 9 years should do it.

But god dammit, I want to see a good version of Green Lantern before I'm too old to care anymore.

I'm excited they've confirmed they're going to make another Green Lantern movie. Personally, I don't care if Reynolds does it, I just want to know who if not him.

Read my review of the Green Lantern if you want to know my thoughts on Ryan Reynolds in the role.

So I've wasted a lot of time, time I should have been using to work on homework but I thought that both these pieces of news were too big not to do a blog post on. Its also been a long time since I've done a long speculation piece like this and I miss that.

I'm not going to post a video because my battery is dying and I don't have the patience to go find one. But I hope you've enjoyed this. I want to know your thoughts. What do you think of the DC lineup? What do you think about the possibility of Marvel Civil War? Comment and Discuss below!







No comments:

Post a Comment