Monday, March 9, 2015

Age of Ultron Trailer Trailer


So, I already did a rant on the Age of Ultron trailer that came out a couple months ago. Well now, there has been a new Trailer Trailer released for the new Avengers movie. The earlier trailer was actually considered a teaser trailer, but this one, I would personally consider this an actual trailer because it's not just showing what the movie is, but its pointing out the ideas and plot of the movie so we know what the movie is actually about before going to watch it. 

 

First to clear out the obvious. This trailer looks amazing. Its got a great look, it shows all the characters we love, it teases even more all the characters we're interested in seeing, and of course, it shows a lot of Ultron. Am I excited about Age of Ultron, Of course I am! It comes out in two months, I'm probably more excited about it than I was for the first Avengers believe it or not. 

There are some great things about this trailer. 

To me, this is the real trailer of Avengers Age of Ultron. I know technically we had the earlier one with the creepy Pinnochio song and that was a great trailer, but in the world where we live in where we're getting so oversaturated with trailers, that is now considered a teaser trailer... I don't know whether or not to be happy or sad about that. 

The unfortunate part is, that since that teaser was basically a full fledged trailer, the only way to make this third trailer awesome is to show more stuff and unfortunately, I feel like I know exactly how the movie is going to go now because of all the shit piled onto this trailer. Its all great seeing this stuff, but I think I would have been content if I had just seen the first trailer



This one, and just moved on with my life? I'm kind of of the idea that many times less is more, and its more important to keep me on the edge of my seats so when I go see the movie, I'm ready to go and enjoy an awesome movie, with Age of Ultron, I'm not totally certain they did that. I'm concerned that this trailer showed too much and nothing is going to surprise me because I've seen so much in the three trailers they've released for this movie. Doesn't make me any less excited, I just need to stop watching trailers I guess. I'm just worried that because I watched all these trailers, I have now seen the movie. I'm worried that I've now seen all the great action parts of the film, I'm worried that I now know exactly what is going to happen.

We'll have to see though.

Now, one of the good things... and bad things about this trailer is the fact that I know a lot more about the plot, how some of the characters will be used, and what this movie is going to turn out to be as we get closer.

The part of this trailer that got me actually really excited for this film is all the new footage of Scarlet Witch.

In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, we saw very little of Scarlet Witch but I think that post credit scene was one of the best post credit scenes I've seen out of a Marvel film.

In this trailer, Scarlet Witch is shown fighting with the avengers, possessing people, and honestly, looking a lot more awesome than Quicksilver.

I am excited to see the two of them, but apart of me is really excited to see Scarlet Witch and her contribution to the film. I feel like with the dark tone of the film, she'll be a great addition.

I think its because we saw a great interpretation of Quicksilver in X-men: Days of Future Past, I'm just not as excited about Aaron Taylor Johnson's interpretation of it. I hope its a fun version of the character, but the bar was set pretty high by Evan Peters in Days of Future Past.

Something that was revealed by this trailer is the confirmation that Scarlet Witch will be used to possess some of the Avengers and they will be used to fight one another. Put aside the fact that this was used in the last Avengers and this movie runs the risk of repeating itself, this actually has the potential to be really interesting and make Scarlet Witch a really scary character.

It does worry me though.

Mainly because of what we've seen in past trailers. The big thing that has been advertised in this film is that Tony Stark is going to bust out the Hulkbuster in order to fight a raged out Hulk. On face value, that's awesome. Its the Hulkbuster, it opens up for a great fight.

However, I'm worried that the possession, again, it going to be a rehash of what happened in the first Avengers and is only being utilized to pit Hulk and Iron Man against each other.


I've written in past posts on how I would actually like to see some kind of story going on for Bruce Banner, especially after what I saw in the The Incredible Hulk. I thought that he was sick or something and was losing control of the Hulk.

I want there to be actual conflict and character development that would prompt a fight between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner, two people that have traditionally been friends.

Maybe that's too much to ask for one movie, but I would have liked something a little bit more than, he was possessed. Unfortunately, this trailer kind of points to The Hulk being possessed by Scarlet Witch.

I'm still not totally convinced that his eyes are actually the Scarlet Witch red or they're just blood shot (possibly pointing towards the Hulk getting sick) but this new trailer kind of points towards that pretty hard, especially looking at Scarlet Witch possessing Black Widow.

Now I could just seem angry because my fan theory isn't correct. The honest truth is, I just like to theorize. As long as Joss Whedon brings us a compelling story that gives justice to a team we've grown to love and cherish, I have no problem with the Hulk being possessed. It just needs to make sense and it needs to be interesting.

Overall, I think the trailer just showed too much. I will probably bite these words but there doesn't seem to be much in this movie that we haven't seen from the trailers.

I saw a video the other day of a bunch of guys debating this very issue and the fact of the matter is, for fanboys like me, they could have just put a clip of the Hulkbuster, Ultron, and the Avengers with a 2 next to it and they might as well take our money now. I get for the average movie going audience, they need to show a little bit more, but this is getting kind of ridiculous.

Age of Ultron is going to be huge. There's no question about it. Marvel has been virtually unstoppable up to this point.

I am of the belief that Marvel is trying to maintain the integrity of its franchise by not just putting out fodder for fanboys to clap and cheer over seeing, but actually making stories and comprehensive ones at that.

Furthermore, Age of Ultron (from what I gather) is going to be the jumping off point for a whole new direction in Phase 3. The Marvel Universe is about to get huge and its starting with Age of Ultron and its lead into Civil War. I think a way to get even more excited about phase 3 and Civil War is for Age of Ultron to just be a great film.

I love the first Avengers film. However, I do acknowledge that the film is not incredible (story-wise) and that's okay. The franchise had reached a level that was unprecedented. Having all these heroes from past movies come together in this culminating event is something people have been trying to emulate ever since.

All I'm saying is that Marvel needs to be careful that its still on the trajectory that it was headed on with Captain America: The Winter Solider. That movie, to this day, is still my favorite Marvel movie and its because it wasn't just a good superhero film but a good film in general.

Marvel needs to continue not just making good superhero films, but also just making good films in general.

This Age of Ultron trailer is by no means showing any signs of Marvel going on a downturn, but my critiques of it will be showing too much in trailers, and the warning of dumbing things down just so you can get Tony Stark in the Hulkbuster. Give us something with substance, give us the Avengers movie that surpasses the original.

This rant didn't exactly turn the way I wanted it to, but I think I liked the direction it went. What do you think? Do you see any problems with Marvel's model of business or are they indestructible? Comment and Discuss below! Also shoot me a tweet @cmhaugen24 and follow me on Twitter to get updates on movie news and reviews!

I'll leave you with this. I may have already used this video but I think its relevant to the Marvel universe. Also I enjoy anything being critiqued by Nick Mundy. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment