Sunday, July 19, 2015

Horrible Bosses 2


Before you say anything, yes I realize that I have never reviewed Horrible Bosses and now I am skipping over that to watch Horrible Bosses 2. Don't worry, while it is a "sequel" these movies could stand alone and still work. Yeah, there are some in jokes that are only funny if you've seen the first one, but personally, its not necessary.

I have seen Horrible Bosses 1. I enjoyed it. I laughed. It wasn't an incredibly memorable movie, as I really don't remember too much about it, however, I do remember it being successful and making me laugh at the time. Its definitely a movie that warrants a sequel in today's standards.

So Horrible Bosses continues the story of our heroes, Nick, Kurt, and Dale (played by Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, and Charlie Day). In the first movie they had horrible bosses who made their lives hell, so they decide to venture out and start their own business so they can be their own bosses.

They put together a new product called The Shower Buddy and they're trying to find a way to manufacture and distribute this new product.

In doing this, they find partners in the father-son business of Bert and Rex Hanson (played by Christoph Waltz and Chris Pine). Bert makes a deal with them and they begin manufacturing the Shower Buddy. That is until Hanson reveals that he never intended to pay them or finance the product so he's going to wait until the bank forcloses on them, by the product they made, and make it his own.

Because their dip into crime worked out so well the last time (when they tried to kill their bosses in Horrible Bosses 1) the trio decide its a good idea to kidnap Bert's son Rex, and hold him for ransom for the amount of money they need to save the business.

Well of course, these three are some of the worst criminals out there and the plan goes horribly wrong... or so they think. They fail in their attempt to kidnap Rex but as they drive back, they realize that Rex actually kidnapped himself and wants to be in on the kidnapping to teach his father a lesson.

The rest of the movie is these guys working with Chris Pine to pull off the perfect kidnapping and save their company. Along the way they run into some old "friends".

The first thing I'll say about this film is that its a pretty well casted film. I think Bateman, Sudeikis, and Day are some of the funniest guys you'll ever know. Put on top of that the performance of Chris Pine as this crazy asshole, Jaimie Fox returning as MotherFucker Jones, and Christoph Waltz just... being Christoph Waltz, the cast is pretty solid. You've also got Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Aniston returning as their roles from the last film and you'd think that that would all lead up to something really entertaining.

And sure, the movie has a couple laughs in it but I wouldn't called it a memorable movie, definitely not as memorable as the first one, and as I said, that movie wasn't incredibly memorable to begin with.

To start off, the trio, while funny, doesn't exactly make sense. I don't know if this was exactly how it was in the first movie but this is how this trio is made up. Jason Bateman is a pretty normal guy, pretty rational, kind of smart. Sudeikis and Day are dumbasses.

I mean they might try and play the other two off as something else, but I don't know, I don't remember Sudeikis being that dumb. I mean when it comes to Day, his character in this movie just reminded me of his character in Its Always Sunny, and I love Charlie from that show.

But when you're running with two dumbasses like this, you gotta kind of wonder why Bateman sticks around with these guys. Especially with the knowledge of how this worked last time.

But let's just say that we can suspend our disbelief just for the sake of the movie, the movie isn't exactly hilarious. Its not bad, I did laugh at some points, again I really like the cast, I just can't really put on target exactly what didn't work in this film.

I saw a review that once said that you have to give the movie credit for not rehashing exactly what they did in the first one and trying to do something new. And yeah I agree with that. But at a certain point I'm wondering if they should have just had this trio do a new idea instead of a sequel to Horrible Bosses.

And the fact of the matter is that despite this is something different from the original, I just didn't laugh at this as much as I did the original. I wish I could say that I did but I didn't. Some parts were funny, some parts were not as funny.

And unfortunately, that's really all I can say about this movie. I have to give it credit for trying something new, but in the end it didn't exactly pull off what it was suppose to do, which was be as funny as Horrible Bosses 1 was.

Now this all might come down to a subjective opinion. If you really loved Horrible Bosses 1, I would recommend giving Horrible Bosses 2 a shot. Again, the trio of these three, while it doesn't exactly make sense, is actually really good.

You may love this film, I just didn't think it was a funny. If you've seen this and think it compares to the original, please let me know!

But for now, that's my thoughts on Horrible Bosses 2. What did you think? Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts by following me on Twitter and sending me a tweet with your thoughts on the movie and maybe even a request for a future movie to watch and review! You can find me at @cmhaugen24 on Twitter. Follow me to get updates on future movie news and reviews.

I'll leave you with this. While Charlie Day isn't in this music video, he probably should have been because this music video is really kind of hilarious. Its the music video to Hopeless Wanderer by Mumford and Sons and... well just watch. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment