Monday, July 13, 2015

Suicide Squad Trailer

What's hilarious is that I've been working on a review for a couple movies recently, like John Wick. I was just about to get that posted when the non-bootlegged version of this trailer came out and suddenly every thing fell to the wayside and this took priority because ladies and gentleman, this is the trailer for Suicide Squad.


This trailer is important because while we've seen a lot of stuff come out about Suicide Squad, we've seen the pictures, we've heard the casting, everything else, we haven't actually seen it in action. Now I still think its still a little bit early to release anything out of this movie, especially since its over a year away. But I need to get used to trailers coming out this early because its becoming more and more of a thing. I just need to make sure that I'm not watching too many and I know what is too much, because this and Batman v. Superman are great trailers. I just hope they keep the level of information on these awesome films on the low key and don't give too much away.

Anyway, what is there to say about the Suicide Squad trailer?

The trailer begins with Amanda Waller (played by Viola Davis) meeting with what I can guess are American generals. They are discussing the formation of a team of "the bad guys". Which is the basic premise of the Suicide Squad to begin with. They're a taskforce with the mission of taking down even badder baddies with a promise of commuted sentences if they succeed, and plausible deniability if they fail.

The trailer begins and showing the different members of the Suicide Squad, from Margo Robbie as Harley Quinn, to Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Killer Croc.

And the great part about these introductions of these characters is just the atmosphere of the entire trailer. The pictures that were released did give the entire squad a really dark, grungy feeling to them and I wasn't sure on whether or not they could come out with a movie (or at least a trailer) that could sell me on the gritty, kinda gross looking feeling this has to it.

As opposed to David Ayer's other projects, especially Sabotage, which I really didn't like, Suicide Squad feels like a comic book as opposed to Sam Worthington just dressing up like a red neck biker in a DEA task force for no fucking reason. While it feels like a comic book, there's a really great atmosphere about this movie that I really like.

Harley Quinn looks phenomenal. Obviously Margo Robbie was good in Wolf of Wall Street and I want to see more of her because of that. I especially want to see her in this.

The other cast members look really interesting and while some of them are pretty nameless to me, the ones that stand out are obviously Margot Robbie, Will Smith as DeadShot, and yeah, I'm actually really excited for Killer Croc now that we've seen more of him.

I think Cara Delevingne is going to have a pretty big, hopefully dark role in the film in the film as Enchantress. I still don't know if she's much of an actress, but her part looks interesting.

Jai Courtney was... well Jai Courtney... I don't know, ever since Terminator: Genesiys, I've kind of given up on Jai Courtney, I'll have to wait and see when the movie comes out.

 The most "disappointing" part of the trailer, meaning it just wasn't a thing, is the role of Joel Kinnaman playing Rick Flag. The way I understand the Suicide Squad is that Rick Flag is suppose to be a sort of leader of the squad... but he didn't really have a role at all in this trailer. I mean look at that picture, he's just kind of staring.

Will Smith kind of seemed like the leader of the group to be honest. I kind of wonder if the role was cut when Tom Hardy exited the project. I mean who would you rather have as a leader of your team? Will Freaking Smith? Or that boring guy from the RoboCop Reboot? (I still need to get to that one). Its obviously going to be Will Smith.

So the team formation is pretty cool, and then of course, I don't think they were going to reveal a trailer like this without having the huge reveal, the Joker.

And yeah... he's great.

I really don't think anybody has had a huge issue with the casting of Jared Leto as the Joker. I mean the guy has an Academy Award under his belt, he's definitely a method actor. He's angsty enough in his rock band to have a dark side to him, I don't think anybody has any problem giving him a shot to bring something new to the Joker.

I do think some people had a little bit of issue with the initial picture that came out of him and in case you were wondering, Yes, Damaged is still tattooed on his forehead. But its not really apparent in the trailer, I had to really search for it, so I don't think it'll be a huge deal in the film.

But how is he in the trailer?

I think he's really good. Like... I just shit my pants good. I think the good thing about this Joker is that this is not necessarily going to be a charismatic Joker (while I still think there will be an element of that to this movie) I think this is more of the serial murderer Joker who is charismatic in the way serial killers are. I don't know, there is a little bit of Ledger in what we saw from the trailer. But that's my best point of reference. I can only hope that Leto is creating something new while taking everything we've seen in the past, kind of exactly like Ledger did.

Needless to say, I'm really excited for this Joker.

There's a lot of good things in this trailer. Most of David Ayer's filmography is good. Some of it isn't so good. But I am definitely excited for Suicide Squad. I think I was already but I wanted to see something. With both of the trailers that came out from San Diego Comic-Con, I think a lot of people are starting to change their tunes about DC. And I have to be honest, I don't think it was a very good idea for Marvel to skip out of Comic-Con this year. While other announcements DC has come out with have been overshadowed by Marvel trailers and announcements that we're comfortable with, this time, there wasn't much to overshadow DC. They definitely ran Comic-Con this year and it was hard to compete.

But what do you think? What did you think of the Suicide Squad trailer? What does 2016 look like in the world of comic book movies? Can DC prove their worth with theses starting movies? Comment and Discuss below! You can also follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 in order to send me your thoughts and give me requests for future reviews. There you can also get updates on future movie news and reviews.

I'll leave you with this. I'm gonna be honest, this is a dumb spoof of Suicide Squad, but the Nerdist kind of called that we were gonna get a Suicide Squad trailer so I'll give them some credit. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment