Saturday, July 11, 2015

Batman v Superman Comic Con Trailer

So I've been pretty busy of late. I've had a lot of work I've had to get done, I've been catching up on Game of Thrones finally. On top of that, I just actually haven't watched that many movies this past week and haven't been able to review anything lately. That being said, I still have a couple of films I watched recently that I haven't finished reviews on, I still need to finish my Avengers: Age of Ultron analysis to compliment my review, I'm way behind on that. And I also need to finish my post on my thoughts on Tom Holland being cast as Spider-man.

To add onto all of that, I'm sure a lot of news is going to come out due to Comic-Con. So don't worry, new stuff is on the way.

But I had to drop everything I was doing, pause Game of Thrones, and do a review the minute I saw this...


ITS A 3 1/2 MINUTE LONG TRAILER FOR BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!!!

This is the trailer we've all been waiting for!

Now I've given my thoughts on the first trailer that came out which I thought was just brilliant. You can read my thoughts here.

I thought a teaser like that was perfect for the time it was released. It came out in April, a little less than a year before the movie is set to arrive, it got the message out that this movie is going to happen. I loved it.

The one critique I will have of this trailer is that after this, I really don't want to see anymore. I think I've seen all that I need to see from this trailer and I don't need to see anymore. And that's a little bit concerning because I know they're going to come out with more trailers and I almost feel like I won't be watching any of them.

So what happens in this trailer?

What doesn't happen in this trailer is the real question.

It starts with Superman appearing before a committee in what I can only assume is him coming forward for the events of Man of Steel. This is complimented with what seems like a flashback of Bruce Wayne in Metropolis watching the destruction happen around him.

Its apparent that Bruce Wayne was deeply affected by the events of Man of Steel and sees Superman as a danger to humanity instead of a hero.

The quote from Jeremy Irons as Alfred comes back saying this is the kind of stuff that turns good men cruel and what seems to begin is a war between Batman and Superman in all walks of their lives.

This is also complimented with the idea of Superman being a figure of controversy in the world.

To some, Superman is a hero and savior of humanity, to others, he's a menace and could have the power to wipe humanity off the map. This is shown really well in the trailer and it just strengthens the great ideas that were introduced in the first trailer and the ideas that I really hope they follow through with in the movie.

And while there's obviously tension between Batman and Superman, as they are the obvious rivals in the movie and Batman definitely seems as though he wants to stop Superman from destroying the world, there's another voice out there. Its not necessarily one definitively saying he doesn't like Superman (though we can assume he doesn't), but there's more an air of foreboding about him.


LEX LUTHOR IS IN THIS TRAILER!!!

Now Jesse Eisenberg has always been the wild card. I mentioned in my review of the first trailer that there wasn't much in that to say whether or not I'm excited about Jesse Eisenberg or not because we didn't see him. But now we see him in full force and personally, I really like it.

Its definitely not the Lex Luthor we're all used to. He's not Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey bringing the same Lex Luthor we've seen before, no this Lex Luthor seems a little bit different. I can't say for sure just from a three and a half minute trailer, but I like this incarnation of Lex Luthor right now.

On top of that, I didn't see Jesse Eisenberg. I didn't see the awkward asshole. I actually saw some potential of a character. I think one of the most fun parts of the trailer is when he eerily says, "The Red Capes are coming". I don't know why but I really liked that ending part. I'm gonna try and watch The Double in the next few days (or week, we'll see) but I'm a little bit more interested in Jesse Eisenberg being Lex Luthor. Now, I think I still would have enjoyed this trailer just as much (if not more) if Kevin Spacey had reprised the role but gave a new Frank Underwood like flair to the role. But of course that's just a dream.

But I'm also interested in what Lex Luthor's plan might be, cause we saw a potential of it in the trailer.


Yeah... that's Zod's body...


Now there was some rumor speculating on the use of Zod's body in the past that I heard about. The rumors speculate around the creation of Doomsday and my idea is that, yes, Doomsday would be cool. But please... god... do not have Doomsday show up in this movie.

For those who don't know, Doomsday is the creature that eventually killed Superman in one of Superman's most iconic comic books, The Death of Superman. He's one of Superman's most formidable villains and we've never seen him on the big screen.

I get it, we're going to get to Doomsday. I think Warner Brothers and DC, and Zack Snyder would be dumb not to eventually bring Doomsday into the fold as the one creature that could destroy Superman.

Just don't do it in this film. This movie has some great potential. Its got great ideas, its got more than enough characters. Its got a conflict. It doesn't need a monster showing up at the end that Batman and Superman need to team up to defeat.

Save Doomsday for future films, save him for Justice League. Just don't bring him into this movie! For the love of god please!

But regardless, whether its that or something else, I'm excited to see these movies recognizing what happened in the last film and building off of that.

Oh yeah... by the way...

Wonder Woman is in this trailer too.

Now I'm actually mentioning her later in this rant because I'm still not totally sure what her role is in this entire ordeal.

I'm still of the idea that I'm willing to give Gal Gadot a chance. I think that she can make a good Wonder Woman. But in all of this epicness, this battle between Batman and Superman, there are these random scenes with Wonder Woman just placed in there, somewhat randomly. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome to see and its exciting seeing her there, but why is she there?

She just seems incredibly out of place. The trailer is still awesome, I'm still overly excited for this film. I just felt like she was kind of shoe horned in there and it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I've said time and time again, while the movie is called Dawn of Justice, this should not be a Justice League Prequel. The movie should focus on Batman facing off against Superman. Not the formation of the Justice League. Like I've said in my post about Wonder Woman, I'm okay with her having a role in the movie, as long as it doesn't take away from the two main attractions.

Now I would have preferred if her role in the movie would have been that of Diana Prince and she didn't even see action in this film. But I'll tell you why I'm not as worried about it now.

A common feeling I got from every scene I saw in this trailer is summed up in one word: Epic. I may use that word too liberally, but it really is. This trailer wastes no time in giving you the feeling that this movie is going to be an Epic, not just be epic, but be an actually Epic (like mythology epic).

So yeah, if you wanna throw Wonder Woman in this epic, as long as it makes sense, you go right ahead.

People have said that there might be too much going on in this film, but my impression from both the trailers that I've seen have been, yeah there is a lot of stuff, but its all the right stuff.

They aren't showing Aquaman, they're not showing the Flash, their not showing Cyborg, they're showing stuff about Batman and Superman.

This trailer alludes to a Robin, this trailer has a lot of Joker references in it. And I love the, all. Everything in this feels as though its woven together and its teasing a story that I have incredible high hopes for.

Yeah Wonder Woman doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of this trailer, but the way things seem to be playing out, I'm thinking that there is some way that Diana Prince will bring something necessary to the plot.

And here's a theory. I mentioned before in a post I did on Aquaman that there could be a connection between the two as there seems to be a sort of Greek mythology connection to this story. Wonder Woman could be the connecting factor between Batman and Superman and the rest of the Justice League. In a way, Wonder Woman could be the Nick Fury or Black Widow of the Justice League. Just a theory. I don't know if that's how its going to happen, but its interesting no doubt.

But on top of this all, I can't help but think that there will be an element of this film that will paint Superman as sort of a bad guy in a way.

I mean put aside the fact that Superman apparently has his devote subjects in this movie with the S patch on their shoulders. There's a lot of this movie that says perhaps that Superman might have too much power.

Now this very well could be the perspective of Batman or Lex Luthor coming through on screen, but I'm kind of wondering with some of the images seen in this trailer if Superman is not exactly the absolute good guy in this movie. I mean once again, you see images of him shooting lasers from his eyes while a city (probably Gotham) burns around him. Superman might be learning how to be the hero and he may let this new publicity go to his head.

But even if he doesn't, that's how good this trailer is. It gives me the idea that this movie might not view Superman in the best light through the perspective of Batman or Lex Luthor. When a movie can make me see the bad guys (or rivals) points of view and makes me believe that they are doing the things they do because the believe its right, then we have a good villain, then we have a conflict, and then we have an awesome movie.

There is very little in this trailer that anybody could say is a down side. Yeah I think its a little early to be showing this much. Yeah I think Wonder Woman seemed a little bit out of place in what seems like it should just be a battle between Batman and Superman.

But besides that, this movie looks to be turning out better than anybody could expect. Now of course this is just a trailer and this movie could suck, but the more I see, the more I'm convinced this movie is going to be awesome. It gave me confidence about Jesse Eisenberg, something I was not excited about in the least. It made Gal Gadot look awesome. It made me believe Ben Affleck is Bruce Wayne and it hopefully will provide Superman with some much needed development, something that wasn't really present in Man of Steel.

Overall, I've watched this trailer about fifty times since I've seen it and I am just overwhelmingly excited about it.

But what about you? Are you excited for Batman v Superman now? Comment and Discuss below! You can also follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 in order to send me your thoughts on the trailer and send requests for more movies for me to review. I will make them my priority. You can also follow me to get updates on future movie news and reviews coming out of the blog.

Before I go, I should let you know that despite the fact that Comic-Con is going on, I will probably not be able to comment on everything. Unless I get a request of someone wanting my thoughts on something (something I will make time for), I'll get to the Comic-con stuff when I have time. Like I said, I'm a little bit behind. Thanks for bearing with me.

I'll leave you with this though.  Conan has done a lot of spoofs on Batman v Superman, this one is kind of old but its a good one. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment