Thursday, March 5, 2015

Batman v Superman: What's up with Aquaman?


It's been a long time since I've talked about Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

I don't know what it is. Its probably my most anticipated movie (perhaps outside of Star Wars) and because I freaking loved Man of Steel, I am over the top excited for Dawn of Justice.

But I also realize that the film is not coming out for another year. (20 days till its a year precisely). Sure, there's been news about it here and there, but nothing overly exciting. The funny thing is, I don't even want a trailer for this film. I want to go in with no expectations and be wowed like I'm expecting to be. People were rumoring around that there would be a trailer in the Jupiter Ascending trailers and I laughed at them... cause they were wrong.

Honestly, there really hasn't been anything overly exciting (for me) to comment on. Right now the focus is on Marvel cause, as usual, they're killing it, and DC still has a year before Dawn of Justice, before Suicide Squad. The truth is, it's going to be another year before anything beats Marvel right now.

Now you may be saying, but Connor, what about this?


In case you're not up to date, this is a real poster, tweeted from Zack Snyder. Its Aquaman (being played by Jason Momoa). And all I can say is... It looks cool...?

Here's the honest truth.

I don't want this to be a prequel to The Justice League. I don't need the Justice League to assemble in this movie. Maybe an inkling here and there, have everyone show up in their secret identities or something, don't have Aquaman go full Aquaman quite yet, give me a little bit of suspense for Justice League, let me get to know these characters a little bit more as people before you shove how cool they look at me.

But most importantly, this has to be a movie about Superman and Batman.

Why am I getting a picture of Aquaman in a movie about Batman and Superman?!?!

Again, it looks cool. But these are the two quintessential members of the Justice League. Everything is built off their relationship. I want characters like Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, whatever, to take a backseat... a very far back seat, to Batman and Superman. That's what I've been thinking since the beginning. Check out my Wonder Woman rant and you'll see what I mean by back seat.

Snyder and other people have said that Supes and Batman are going to fight and I get the feeling that the movie is going to be focused on them, I'm just cautious about this film. I don't want to bad mouth it because, again, its my most anticipated movie of 2016. But I think the reason I haven't written that much about Batman v Superman is because 1) There's nothing concrete we know about the story, we've only seen costumes and kind of cool posters.  2) There's nothing overtly exciting about this film yet besides what we've known for a while now, its Batman. Versus. Superman.

But then I heard something that made me interested.

So we've heard from Snyder and other news around this movie, that Wonder Woman is going to be a descendent of the Greek Gods. Zeus, Hades, all the classics.

Am I the only one who would laugh if Liam Neeson was Zeus again?
Okay, that's interesting. You've got Bruce Wayne, genius, playboy, billionaire philanthropist. Superman, an alien from Krypton, and Wonder Woman, spawn of the Greek Gods. That's an interesting combination. 

But hey, isn't one of the Greek Gods kind of like Aquaman in a way?

So get this, what if Aquaman is in a similar situation to the Greek Gods as Wonder Woman is? What if Aquaman is a descendent of Poseidon?

Well that's kind of interesting. You could throw in something like he was raised by humans but he's really an Atlantian, that's kind of interesting. 

But again, I can figure this all out in The Justice League. I mean there are going to be two parts to this film, we have time for some character development in that movie, that way we don't take away from Batman and Superman and their development. 

So, on a second look at the Aquaman poster, we read the words on the poster that read Unite the Seven.

Okay, so Unite the Seven? What does that mean? It could mean the Seven Seas, the Seven members of the Justice League, the Seven Dwarves... something like that. 

But why Aquaman? Why show us pictures of Aquaman with a tag line that could just be a teaser for the Justice League. In fact it kind of points towards this movie just being a huge commercial for The Justice League, again, something I really don't want to happen. 

So he wants to United The Seven. Well its not quite the seven Justice League members, so while it still could make sense, I just don't know why Snyder would put something out like that for this film. If its Unite the Seven seas. I guess my question is... from what?

The villain of the film? Maybe, but that brings up a huge question of who is the villain of Batman v Superman? It hasn't really been confirmed yet. And to me, that's a huge part of the film. I know Batman and Superman are going to fight in this film, but I also know that they need to kiss and make up by the end for thing to be all put together for the Justice League in 2017. What's the best way to have two heroes kiss and make up? Joining together to fight a common villain. But who is the villain in Dawn of Justice?

Here's my three scenarios of what I think it could end up being. 

1. Lex Luthor? 

It could happen. I mean it wouldn't be the first time Luthor has been the bad guy. If done right I could really see that being a great way to truly introduce the character, introduce some kind of common goal to unite the two rivals of Superman and Batman. 

But again, I go back to the Aquaman poster. Why Aquaman? What can Luthor do to Atlantis, to the seas? Whatever? And are we really resigning ourselves to the idea that Lex Luthor is going to be the main villain in this film? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but because I'm bored and have nothing better to do but analysis any clue of this movie, I can guess that Aquaman might have a key part to this film. So does Luthor really seem like the perfect way to attack Aquaman?

Honestly, I'm not convinced. If you read my rant on Jesse Eisenberg becoming Lex Luthor, you'll know that I personally want them to develop Eisenberg as the villain gradually. I don't want him doing some kind of real estate scheme in this film, he shouldn't have an immediate evil plan. Lex Luthor should be a plotting and conniving villain, who's plans transcend one movie and require more than just one film to fulfill themselves. 

I would much rather see Lex Luthor be developed in this film. Acknowledge his presence, make him an intricate part of the plot, have him manipulate and laugh when these two heroes waste time fighting each other. He doesn't have to be the main bad guy in the end, but he should have something cooking up, so much that whoever is the villain, while great is a pawn in the grander scale of things.  

Its weird because in my thought process of this, Kevin Spacey would actually make a great Lex Luthor, especially with some form of Frank Underwood. I really liked Spacey as Luthor in Superman Returns, I think it was kind of wasted.

So let's say, in my perfect world of mine, Lex Luthor is out as the main villain. Who is the villain?

I really want Brainiac. I think we've seen Lex Luthor as the main villain countless times, even Zod got done twice, I want to see another Superman villain get realized. Brainiac, Metallo, anybody. Anybody but Doomsday, I think Doomsday is being saved for bigger and better things. So give us a villain that Batman and Superman can disagree how to deal with, fight, and then unite to defeat in the end.

Unfortunately, that seems all too easy and I don't know if they're going that way, especially if they haven't revealed any concrete villains yet... which brings me to the second option.

2. There is no villain.

Not in the traditional sense. There's no big baddy. Maybe the battle really is centered on Batman versus Superman. Maybe these two are big enough Titans that they can fill an entire movie on the conflict of these two. It would be both very big, but very personal at the same time.

Similar to how Tony Stark is technically "the villain" in Captain America 3, this movie could more be about ideals and Superman dealing with other heroes in this bigger universe. I think you cut down on a big climactic battle against good and evil in the end (but hey we got enough of that in Man of Steel) and instead its a battle you're not totally sure where its going to go. The final battle could be Superman and Batman finally duking it out as a breaking point of their feud with each other.

And honestly, the more I write on this, the more I like it. It has the potential to make Dawn of Justice a very intelligent movie. It gets rid of the notion that Superman is always going to fight the bad guy, and personally, I think they could probably find a way to out Marvel Marvel on this one. Sure Captain America and Tony Stark are going to fight and that's an iconic battle, but we're talking Batman versus Superman here. If they have these two have very stark ideologies, so much that the two need to go to blows to settle their differences, I'm totally down for that. And in this version, you have that opportunity for Lex Luthor to have a master plan behind it all and connive until the next film while these two are fighting.

While I eventually want to see them team up and fight someone in the end, setting aside their differences for a greater good, this idea might make Batman v Superman a little bit more subtle of a film, with the iconic battle and everything else thrown in. Man of Steel was not your run of the mill superhero film, which is why I think people were so torn about it. While Captain America 3 might be your run of the mill superhero clash, this movie could be going for something more, and something totally different.

3. There's a Reason the Seas are Uniting.

So then we come back to this Aquaman mystery. Why post a picture of Aquaman, gathering the Justice League, in a prequel. Why would they be gathered already... Unless he's talking about the 7 seas. But again, I need to ask, why unite the 7 seas. What for?

...unless.


Maybe Aquaman is the villain.

He obviously can't be the absolute evil villain that someone like Brainiac or Metallo would be, but why not? Why couldn't Aquaman be the villain? Maybe he's pissed. Maybe Wayne Enterprises and Lex Corp are dumping in the ocean and Aquaman is sick of it. Maybe he blames Superman for the events of Man of Steel and the effect it had on the ocean. I don't know, my point is, he as well has an ideology, a cause that clashes with that of Batman and Superman. I don't know, I'm not the writers, but there has to be a smart reason as to why Aquaman is the villain. It has to be smart so Aquaman can eventually become a part of the Justice League at the end of the film.

Or maybe, there's something else going on.

 Remember how I said Wonder Woman was a descendent of the Greek Gods? Remember how there's a chance that Aquaman is also connected to the Greek Gods?

Well maybe the gods are pissed. Maybe its not just Aquaman as "the villain" but all of the demi gods. Meaning Wonder Woman as well.

This is going well off track of any kind of prediction I've ever had about Batman v Superman, but maybe this conflict is a conflict between man and god, with Superman right in the middle. He's got to choose between joining the leagues of demi gods, or defending the mortals who Bruce Wayne now comes out of retirement to protect but will stop at nothing to protect humanity, even if that means destroying Superman.

It would be a shift for Batman. He's spent his entire career fighting street crime and protecting Gotham, suddenly he's called into action to fight demi-gods. Wouldn't that be crazy?

I don't know if it means there's a modern war against the gods and humanity, but wouldn't that be awesome though? Its a retelling of Greek myth with superheroes who transcend the norms of superheroes like the ones at Marvel and instead are gods. I think there's something here. Again, I'm not a screen writer, but this could escalate things to a whole new level, and it would definitely require the assembly of the Justice League.

This is all based off conjecture and one poster that was maybe just Zack Snyder showing off Jason Momoa. It just gets me curious, that's all.

I just have no clue as to what this movie is going to be about, and honestly, I think my mind would be put to rest just a little bit with some kind of inclining as to who the villain is going to be. Its driving me nuts!

2015 was suppose to be the biggest year in movies. It was suppose to be Batman v Superman, Age of Ultron, Ted 2, Star Wars, the list goes on. Now, a lot of those films are still coming out and I'm sure its still going to be an incredible year. But for some reason, I'm more excited for 2016 than I am for 2015 right now.

I in fact am going to be doing a review of the new Age of Ultron trailer, because there's a lot to say there. But for now, I'll leave with all that to chew on regarding Batman v Superman.

But what do you think? Am I just spinning my wheels until more news comes out about Dawn of Justice or do you think there's some validity to these theories? What do you think of the Aquaman poster? Who do you think the villain is going to be in Dawn of Justice? How do you think this movie is going to come together? Comment and Discuss below! Or shoot me a Tweet @cmhaugen24 and follow me on Twitter to get updates on movie news and more movie reviews.

I'll leave you with this. Now, I am one of the few who believe that Man of Steel was just a pile of goodness and not much was wrong with it... I stand by that. But its kind of fun to hear some of the criticism of the movie. Also, its fun to theorize how Man of Steel is actually going to influence the next movie. Here's what a cartoon of Man of Steel might look like. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment