Saturday, February 13, 2016

Deadpool


So up until about two weeks ago, I was only kind of excited for Deadpool. It was a comic book movie yes, but I wasn't overly excited for it. I thought Deadpool was a fun character but I didn't really pay that much attention to it.

And then the marketing team struck. The marketing for this movie was probably the most perfect marketing that could ever happen.


But still I was just ready for a comedic romp, nothing over the moon.

And then the reviews started hitting. I was hearing nothing but good things about this movie. I was hearing that the only people who didn't like this movie are the people that just didn't get it. It just made me so excited.

And I may have oversold this movie to myself.

Little bit of a background.

This is not the first go around for Deadpool. Wade Wilson did appear in X-men Origins Wolverine and was turned into "Deadpool"

Now honestly, at the time, I really didn't have much of a connection to the character and didn't really know the implication of the actions that happen in Origins. In essence, the character who is known as "The Merc With the Mouth" has his mouth sewn shut.

At the time I just saw Ryan Reynolds turned into a creepy mutant bastard monster but I realize now, that really messed with the continuity of the character in a way that fans were not willing to forgive.

So X-men Origins just kind of fails and everything that was supposed to sprout from that movie was brushed aside, including Ryan Reynold's performance as Deadpool.

But then this showed up online... a quick test footage reel of a pretty cgi deadpool fighting a group of bad guys in an SUV voiced by Ryan Reynolds.

And after a long time of speculation on whether or not this movie was actually going to happen, they announced it, Deadpool was going to have his own single feature starring Ryan Reynolds again as "The Merc with the Mouth".

Now again, I don't really know the backstory of Deadpool, I don't know the comics that well and I'm not a die hard fan. But I did like the test footage and I was at least a little bit excited for this movie to come out.

Deadpool follows the story of Wade Wilson (played by Ryan Reynolds) who is a former special forces operative who is now a mercenary.

Right off the bat, Wade Wilson is not a good guy. He's basically the bad guy who is not as bad as other bad guys and kills and intimidates the actual bad guys. I would say anti-hero but that's not always the correct term and can be used in the wrong way a lot these days.

Wade meets Vanessa Carlysle (played by Morena Baccarin) and the two begin just a down right adorable relationship.

I won't say its as adorable as Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey in The Amazing Spider-man movies, but its just different. At first it seems these two are really into sex but you see their friendship and love for one another grow and grow and its just down right adorable...

And then sad when Wade is diagnosed with terminal cancer.

This is all stuff you can see in the trailer but in short, he is offered an opportunity to cure his cancer and become a super hero but is instead tricked to be turned into a super slave by an evil mutant named Ajax (played by Ed Skrien) and his muscle Angel (played by Gina Carano).

Wade survives the torture and comes out with super human abilities but he also looks like an avocado had sex with another avocado...


The rest of the story is a raunchy, hilarious revenge tale of Wade Wilson tracking down Ajax and looking to find a cure for his ugliness before he kills him.

Along the way he is periodically joined by two X-men, Colossus (played by Stefan Kapicic) and Mega Sonic Teenage Warhead (played by Brianna Hildebrand).

And my god, this movie is just fun.

Its not trying to be anything its not, yes it has some tie ins to X-men but its not trying to force its way into some kind of expanded universe or cross over.

The movie has a lot of raunchy humor but at lot of it is pretty meta as well. Which is exactly what Deadpool is, he's a hero who knows that he's in a comic book, or he knows he's in a movie. This makes him just down right hilarious when he's breaking the 4th wall, making jokes about the movie while its going on, and just being a different superhero.

And that's what is refreshing about this movie.

I'm not at all fatigued by the number of superhero films out there.

And yes, I am going to watch all of these movies. Every single one of them.

But they're all going for a similar point, a hero is born, he fights the bad guy and he sometimes broods watching over the city.

With Deadpool though, there's just something different about the way he does thing and the way he's not a hero at all.

This movie is a hard R, its got a lot of gore, its got a lot of nudity, its got a lot of gross imagery, and dick jokes, and masturbation jokes, and the list goes on and on.

This is not a movie for the kids.

But you like Wade Wilson, you like his journey, you like his jokes, and this movie is just all around fun.

Now, I do have to see it again because I'm sure I missed a lot of jokes I should have picked up on and I'm sure its gonna be funny a second time. Honestly, I think the only thing that I didn't like about this movie was that it felt short.

The story, without flashbacks and flash forwards, is pretty straight forward and not exactly long. However, it is full of a lot of fun moments and jokes. I just wish that the movie was longer and had a little bit more meat to it.

A lot of that I think was because I was expecting more but the truth was, this movie was greenlit by Fox because they had money to spare from the X-men. It was made on a relatively small budget and for a lot of people, they thought this movie wasn't going to happen at all.

Overall, Deadpool just feels fresh.

Its a straight up comedy superhero film, its a hard R, and its a character that seems different. This is the kind of movie you want to see sequels to right away and its the kind of movie that if you have any doubts about it, seeing it again will probably make those doubts go away.

But have you seen Deadpool? What did you think? Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts via Twitter @cmhaugen24 as well as send me your requests for movies I should review in the future. If you follow me on Twitter, you can get my updates on future movie news and reviews as well as live tweets sometimes to movies and shows I'm watching live.

I'll leave you with this. Here's one of the great viral marketing videos that came out for Deadpool. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment