Thursday, February 11, 2016

Suicide Squad Trailer 1


When a trailer like this comes out, I usually write down my thoughts and post it as soon as I can. Unfortunately with the amount of work I’ve had in the past few weeks, I started this but never got the chance to finish it. But now since there are a number of trailers that have dropped since, I felt I needed to get this out, get my thoughts known and move onto bigger and better things. 


So because of this trailer, I was listening to Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody on repeat since 7 o’clock this morning.

So the new trailer for Suicide Squad has dropped (A while ago) and its following in the footsteps of a lot of comic book and big franchise movies that have set their trailer to a famous rock song and I think this is definitely my favorite of all of those trailers.


The first Suicide Squad trailer that came out during Comic-Con was a really fun trailer. I gave my thoughts on it and I thought it was great. I thought it was creepy, I thought it displayed a lot of cool characters and gave us a feel for how this movie is going to be when it comes out in August.

While I really liked that trailer, I don’t think it was my favorite of the trailers that came out during comic-con. I think a lot of that has to do with my bias towards Batman v Superman but I do think that while it was a good trailer, it was just a teaser and it was about time we saw something new when it comes to this movie.

And man did we get something different.

The trailer that we got was set to the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody and really broke down each of the characters of the Squad. They definitely showed more of Harley Quinn (played by Margot Robbie) Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney) Deadshot (Will Smith) and the rest of them.

We also figure out that Rick Flag (played by Joel Kinnamen) is more likely a government agent who is the supervisor of this group… which makes me think that he’s going to die. I don’t think I’d be saying that if Tom Hardy had stayed on for the role but I’m pretty sure this movie ends with Joel Kinnaman getting blown away by the Joker or betrayed by Harley Quinn or one of the members of the squad it has seemed like he has been learning to work with this entire time. That’s obviously only a theory but he just looks like a character who could be expendable by the end credits.

But this trailer really lays out what these criminals are doing all brought together. They basically say, you’re here to do a suicide mission. Which follows in suite with the comics where the squad was formed to commute the sentence of hardened criminals if they carry out the secret missions of the government.

The best part about this trailer is, it doesn’t give away more than that. There’s a couple shots of something that could be the villain, something that I’m calling the Lego monster because whatever it is makes the subway car explode in something that looks like Lego pieces or explosions from The LEGO Movie.

Now I read a theory a while ago that was theorizing on who the villain of the movie could be and there are a couple trains of thought.

The first one is that the squad is going to apprehend The Joker (played by Jared Leto). I’m not totally sold on this theory. It can be assumed that Joker is not a member of the squad but I could see him more as an evil third party that both helps and also fucks with the squad. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind The Joker being “The Bad Guy” of the movie but I would be interested in seeing a new villain and the Joker still playing an important part of the movie to either help or create barriers for the squad.
The second theory I heard was that Enchantress (played by Cara Devigne) would be the villain of the movie. And this I could also see since she has not really been in group shots, at least not the ones that I have seen in the trailers or posters. Now we haven’t seen a lot of Enchantress’s power in either trailers or at least seen her pull of her powers so the LEGO explosions could be her.

The only thing working against this theory is that the power that with her costume and the black aura around her in this trailer doesn’t exactly correspond with the Lego explosions I was mentioning before.

HOWEVER, if you look in the background of the part where she says “Lets have some fun” (This is really looking in depth to this trailer) you can tell that she’s in a government conference room like the kind you’d see in the white house. So Enchantress could be wrecking havoc on the government and the Suicide Squad could be brought in to bring her down. I still think she’s the villain but there is always the third option.

The third option is that we haven’t seen the villain yet. This is actually a theory I’d be one hundred percent down for multiple reasons. First off, it’s a new villain in general. The more DC can expand this universe the more they’re going to show that they have an edge over Marvel in certain aspects and just have more fun expanding. But the other part about it is that if there is another villain, this movie has done a fantastic job at not showing who this villain is.

We live in such a know all culture that it is hard for anything to not get out to the public before the release. I mean everyone was so surprised when the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane came out because we hadn’t heard jack about this movie and now its coming out in March. That blew people’s minds.
So if there is a villain in Suicide Squad that we’re not aware of yet, I’m really looking forward to how long they can keep that extra villain secret.

Now just some other things I liked about this trailer. I thought Jai Courtney was actually intriguing. Jai Courtney is an actor who just consistently has been in garbage movies and has not given a good performance in anything he’s in. So when they said he was Captain Boomerang, I was a little bit hesitant. For multiple reasons (one of them being the fact that he’s called Captain Boomerang) but the other one being that Jai Courtney has not shown us that he can give a really good performance… until this trailer.

Now a lot of it could just be well edited shots, but I laughed at a lot of Jai Courtney moments and I’m excited to see him in this movie.

The other great part about this trailer was the scenes with the Joker. Jared Leto continues to just show that he is bringing something really great and new to a character we know and love. Again, we’re still unsure of what exactly the Joker’s role is going to be in relation to the Suicide Squad but I love what they’re doing and it gets me pumped.

Now, there were a few things that I’m not wild about. And its mainly Harley Quinn.

Now I’ve always thought that Margot Robbie was a good choice for Harley. However the lines that she has in this movie are supposed to be funny lines and they more come off as awkward. The lines Harley has in this movie remind me of the lines they had in the Batman v Superman trailer when Wonder Woman shows up and Superman and Batman are like, “Is she with you?” They just seem awkward and DC really trying to show us that they can have a sense of humor. Now I think that this movie might have a dark humor to it but it doesn’t seem like the DC movies are going to be straight up comedies. So it’s a little odd when Suicide Squad comes out with a trailer that is akin to the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer.

Its not a huge complaint because honestly, I don’t have many bad things to say about this trailer. It’s a trailer. I liked it. I hope that Suicide Squad is going to be a good movie.

You might think I’m hurrying up the finishing of this review because I’m a week or two late… and you would be right. I just wanted to put out my thoughts on Suicide Squad so something is up here.

But what do you think of the Suicide Squad trailer... that came out a couple weeks ago? Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts on Twitter @cmhaugen24 as well as send me your requests for movies I should review in the future. If you follow me on Twitter you can get updates on future movie news and reviews as well as live tweets of shows and movies I'm watching. 

I'll leave you with this. I'm hoping to do a post on all the Superbowl spots, but I'll show you probably one of my favorites, X-Men Apocalypse. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment