Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2018 Update


First and foremost, I do want to give a shout out to people who actually read this side project of mine, the people who follow me on Twitter, and especially the people who have given me their feedback and thoughts on movies, TV shows and random ramblings I have from time to time. Happy New Year! I hope your holidays were relaxing and you got to spend time with those you love.

I don’t usually write anything on here that isn’t poorly written, far too drawn out thoughts on movies, but I thought with the beginning of the year, it would be appropriate to give a short update on myself and what to expect from this blog in 2018.

I've been meaning to explain a little bit why my reviews have been so sporadic lately. I was waiting for the right time to haphazardly write a little blurb at the beginning of a review putting into words why you only got 5 reviews in December and while I promised on Twitter that my Justice League spoiler review was coming, it never did in 2017. The excuses of course would just be very much the same as it always has been: work has gotten crazy and I'm in a time of transition where it becomes very difficult to write these reviews with a level of satisfaction that I'd be happy to put out there. I’ve seen my early reviews, they were messy, half baked, and riddled with spelling mistakes. In the three years I have done this blog, I have since tried to reform a little bit and make sure these posts are thoughtful, make sense, and perhaps have at least one or two less spelling or grammatical mistakes. I don't really like excuses, especially making a whole big thing about them, but I thought you all deserved some kind of explanation.

The unfortunate part is, these excuses are still valid. Work is still crazy and things still feel like they could be changing tomorrow at the drop of a hat. The good thing is, it’s a transition I’m happy about, it still feels like things are changing every day and I feel really optimistic about where it could go. 2018 is going to be a good year. However, it does make it difficult to be consistent with this blog.

The other aspect of it is that this is not my full time job. I love watching movies, and I love writing, but I still haven’t seen a dime come into my pocket from this blog. While a part of that is due to my complacency, making a profit on this thing has never been the goal. I didn’t make this blog to make money, I did it because I felt the need to write down my thoughts and do something different. But life happens and my main focus cannot be on a side project.

I am by no means building up to say this blog is going away anytime soon. In fact, I’d really like to expand and do more here if the cards line up. I’ve talked about expanding into videos before and 2018 might be the time for that. In a perfect world, I would love to start a podcast, perhaps stream some gaming I do while I bullshit about movies, or maybe try out some standup comedy and broadcast myself bombing horribly here as well as Youtube.

I don’t want to promise anything besides a continuation of what I’ve been doing already. While I’ve been busy, I don’t foresee myself not watching movies and I don’t foresee myself stopping this. All I’m saying is that there is a lot of potential in 2018. 2017 I was constricted by certain obligations and I don’t see things being as restrictive this year. I already started giving initial reactions on Stardust and do encourage you to download that app and tune into some of my reactions. My username is MovieSymposium, give me a follow there.

I also have some hold overs I still need to review from 2017. So these are some reviews you can expect soon.

- Sing
- Justice League Spoiler Review
- Stranger Things 2
- That 70s Show

Here's some things I know I'll be reviewing coming up.

- 24: Legacy Season review
- Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- The Night Manager
- Netflix's The Ranch
- Netflix's Bright

Among other things.

Of course, I am always eager for suggestions, and I am also interested in what kind of content you want coming out of this blog. Do you want videos? Are my words enough for you? Feel free to let me know in the comments or on Twitter at @MovieSymposium as well as send me your requests for films I should review in the future.

Let's have a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment