Thursday, January 18, 2018

Black Mirror: Season 1


This could be a potentially really long review or a very short review because this is such a unique show and it's a little bit difficult to review. I will explain why.

Black Mirror is in essence The Twilight Zone but about technology.


Each episode is an hour long anecdote that centers on a piece of technology and the dangers. The reason I am able to write a review about this season so quickly is that the first season only has three episodes. I think what I will do for this review is talk about each episode very briefly but moving forward, I probably won't do a whole review for the season and instead focus on individual episodes that I really liked or found to have the most impact.

I don't know, we'll see how this format goes because like I said, Black Mirror is a difficult show to review.

The National Anthem

The first episode, The National Anthem, centers on the British Prime Minister. (The show did start on the BBC and then eventually moved over to Netflix so that's why all the actors are British and the stories are usually set in Europe.

The Prime Minister (played by Roy Kinnear) is called to respond to the kidnapping of a beloved Princess, Princess Susannah (played by Lydia Wilson). The kidnappers send a video laying out their demands. But instead of demanding money or political changes, they only have a very bizarre request. That the Prime Minister broadcast himself having unsimulated sexual intercourse with a pig.

Black Mirror is by no means a comedic series. The show often has a very somber tone to it and you do have to be in a mood to watch it because it is not light hearted at all. That being said, there is some intriguingly dark comedy in the series and it does give a unique tone.

The episodes main purpose is to point out the impact that the internet and public opinion on the internet has on our political figures. While it does exaggerate how quickly the internet can garner public support on a topic, it still does have an intriguing message on the power of trending topics on Twitter, how Youtube has affected the news cycle, and how public opinion (supplemented by the internet) does have an affect on policy and the actions of the government.

When I first saw this episode, I did think it was a weird way to start the show. The Prime Minister isn't a particularly likable guy and it is such a weird and frankly disgusting premise that I wasn't sure exactly if I wanted to keep going with this series.

Upon a second viewing I did appreciate the episode a little bit more, especially now that I know what I'm in for when I watch this show, however, I would recommend you take this episode with a grain of salt and don't let it dictate exactly how you feel about the show. It definitely is an episode that needs to grow on you and it could turn people off upon the first viewing.

Fifteen Million Merits

Fifteen Million Merits is another episode that I didn't really enjoy upon my first viewing. I get the feeling I was not in the right mindset when I first watched this show because upon a second viewing I have really appreciate these episodes more and more.

Fifteen Million Merits takes place in an unspecified future where the global currency is a point system that is earned by cycling to provide power to the world. These points allow for people to buy virtual goods and services. Everyone lives in an ad filled world and are required to watch ads for their preferences unless they spend points to skip the ads. Do you see the cultural references made very apparent in this episode already?

The story centers on a man named Bing (played by Daniel Kaluuya). He has a decent amount of points but doesn't really use it for anything. He just cycles his days away and lives his life normally. But then he meets a girl named Abi (played by Jessica Brown Findlay). He becomes infatuated with her and when he figures out that she can sing, he offers to spend the majority of his points to buy her way onto an American Idol-like show called Hot Shot.

The episode essentially makes a message about ads, internet sensations, and exploitation in a internet-d world.

Like I said, I didn't really enjoy this episode when I first saw it. I thought the environment was dull, the American Idol setting was a little bit too on the nose, and the story dragged.

But again, upon a second viewing, I really started to enjoy the message it was sending and the twists and turns the story started to take. Also I'm starting to pick up on the humorous aspects of the show despite it being so dower. You definitely have to be in a certain mood to watch Black Mirror and luckily I'm in that mood at the moment because I can appreciate the episodes more. It's not really a show that is easily picked up and binge watched out of no where but if you find yourself in the right mood it could be perfect.

The Entire History of You

The Entire History of You is, in my opinion, the make or break episode of Black Mirror. There are probably much better episodes but if you're going in a sequential order, in my opinion, if you're not on board with the show after this episode, Black Mirror might not be the show for you.

It is such self contained story that really takes place over the course a day or so but it is probably the most intriguing story of the entire season.

The story takes place in a not so distant future where most people have an implant that records their memories from birth. If you don't remember somebody's name, you can quickly recall a memory and review whatever information you want.

Tobey Kebell plays Liam, a man who believes his wife is cheating on him. He obsesses over the recorded memories or "grains" and insists, based on the facial cues and behaviors he sees in the memories that his wife is cheating on him.

Jodie Whitaker plays his wife Ffion which I had more appreciation in 2018, especially since Whitaker is set to play The 13th Doctor this year. She gives a really good performance with Kebell and it does start a trend of having these episodes star big name actors.

The theme of the episode definitely points out the pitfalls of everything being recorded these days and the strain it could take on a marriage. The really interesting part is that Kebell is not a very nice guy. He's obsessive, he drinks too much, he's just mean to his wife at times, but at the same time the recorded memories do tell a story. Kebell and Whitaker do a great job at portraying jealousy and deceit in a technological world and while we don't have recorded memories of intimate moments, with technology and the ability to record and capture intimate moments, that can have a strain on relationships.

All three of these episodes seem to only get better with time. I haven't been able to really compare them with future episodes so I don't know what's in store for me in the future but I can appreciate and yet criticize a series of episodes that only get better after multiple viewings. If I'm watching a series, I don't usually go back and watch old episodes unless they really make an impact on me. I'm glad I went back and digested these episodes more upon a second viewing, but usually I wouldn't have and would have gone on not really appreciating these first few episodes.

The other complaint I have about this first season as a whole is that it is so clearly pushing a message. The dangers of technology and the world that we might find ourselves in if we keep going down this dangerous path.

I'm not saying a show shouldn't have a message to it. Messages are good. The problem comes when I just want to watch some creative storytelling and instead I get some heavy handed symbolism or message pushing when the show is basically screaming, "ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS!"

Again, I've found that I have to be in a certain mood to watch Black Mirror and it might be more beneficial to watch these episodes more spread out as opposed to binge watching them. Maybe that way I can digest them more and appreciate the messages. I don't know, we'll have to wait and see and that might lend itself better to how I might be reviewing these in the future. Because while I do feel like the message is a little heavy handed at times, there is some good story telling being done and I've been told it only gets better. So maybe I will review highlight episodes or something. I don't know for sure.

But I thought for now it might be good to just give you an idea of what you're in store for if you're like me and haven't totally gotten on the Black Mirror train. There are only three episodes so if you are a binger, you will get through the first season very quickly.


Overall, the show is a bit of an acquired taste. I'll be honest, the few times I have watched The Twilight Zone, I haven't gotten into it as much as I would hope I would have and the same can be said about Black Mirror. But I can't deny there is great storytelling and poignant messages to be told in the first season. Black Mirror requires the right mood which at this current moment I am in and am ready to breeze through this show.

But what do you think? Without any spoilers, are there any strategies or guides to watching this show? Are there episodes I should skip? Does it get better? What do you think of the first season and where does it rank? Comment and Discuss below! You can also send me your thoughts on Twitter @MovieSymposium as well as send me your requests for films and TV shows I should review in the future. If you follow me on Twitter, you can get updates on future movie news and reviews coming out of this blog.

I'll leave you with this. I'm not including a video at the end of this because this is a hard series to find a video that doesn't include spoilers. So I'll leave you with one more thought. I am intrigued by the idea of this show because it reminds me of the Cloverfield franchise. Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane are not sequels but they do share somewhat of a universe by just sharing the same name. I do like how Black Mirror episodes are not connected but at the same time feel like they're in the same vein. It's a nuanced way of storytelling these days that I find myself really enjoying. Do you agree?


No comments:

Post a Comment