Thursday, May 29, 2014

Ted


The first thing I would ask if someone asked me whether or not they would like Ted is, "Have you seen Family Guy? Do you like it?" If the answer is "No I hate Family Guy" I would probably say you're going to hate Ted. If you love it, you're probably going to love it. If you haven't seen it, watch a couple episodes and see what you think. Or just give the movie a shot.

Ted is Seth McFarlene's debut feature film. As I've said before in comedy reviews, its hard for me to review comedy films because comedy is very subjective. People think Miranda Sings is hilarious while I want to punch her in the face every time I hear her or someone imitate her.

Seth MacFarlene is the same way I'm sure for a lot of people. People either love his raunchy, sometimes in bad taste humor while others think he's offensive, stupid, or just craving attention.

In short, this review may be a little bit short because I will explain the story, the things I like about it and tell you the same thing I just told you above.

So Ted starts off telling the story of young John Bennett and how he wishes for his teddy bear, properly named Teddy, to come to life so they can be friends forever and ever.

Well its explained in the movie that nothing is more powerful than a young child's wish... except for an apache helicopter.

So the teddy bear comes alive and becomes a bit of a celebrity but always remaining friends with John.

So they grow up. Ted (voiced by Seth MacFarlene) is a washed up celebrity smoking weed and dicking around with John (played by Mark Wahlberg).

But John is dating Lorrie (played by Mila Kunis). Now John and Lorrie have been dating for a while and they live with Ted. Lorrie feels that Ted needs to move out so John can grow up and start committing to Lorrie. That's the main conflict in the film. John choosing between his girlfriend and his talking Teddy Bear. Hilarity ensues.

Comedy aside, I think the relationships between characters work. At first I thought it was a little weird that 42 year old Mark Wahlberg was dating 30 year old Mila Kunis but it works for the film as Wahlberg acts like an immature man in his 30s.

MacFarlene as Ted works well too. The animation is fun. Its not mind blowing animation but its good and funny. There are scenes in the movie where Ted is standing in a really cute pose or position.

When I saw this in theaters, I heard audible "awws" to scenes like this. It makes you forget how much of a raunchy bastard Ted can be in the film.

Again, the animation isn't anything that is going to blow you off your feet but its still good and fun.

And that's the feel I get from this film. This film was just fun.

You can tell this was something Seth MacFarlene wanted to do for a long time and he put his heart and soul into it. Now whether or not you like his heart and soul (if they exist) is a totally different question. And again it will mostly come down to whether or not this humor is for you.

I personally love this film. I think the acting was good, the story progresses very well, and I personally laugh every time I see this movie.

If you're not familiar with Seth Macfarlene's work, watch this movie, this is a good stepping off point to see if you like it or not.

I mainly did this review in preparation for A Million Ways to Die In the West which comes out this Friday.

If you haven't seen my review of the trailer I did back in January, Here's a link to that.

I personally think this movie looks very funny and if its anything like Ted, well made sprinkled with the comedy of Seth MacFarlene, which again is a personal taste. I think I'm going to love this movie. Unfortunately, I may be setting myself up for disappointment, but we'll see.

So that was my teaser for what is to come in my blog, I plan to see this movie either tomorrow or on Saturday so the review will be coming this weekend.

In case you haven't noticed, I have a lot more time but I have a backlog of things I need to review. New movies will always take precedent but I will do my best to get more and more reviews out to you guys.

So what did you think of Ted? Are you looking forward to A Million Ways to Die in The West? Leave a comment below and let me know!

I'll leave you with this. Seth MacFarlane (I've been spelling that wrong apparently) spoke at a commencement speech at Harvard. He brings in some funny voices, its actually really funny. Its long though so dig out some time for it. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment