Monday, April 27, 2015

Another Fantastic Four Trailer


Holy smokes, when I wrote this, it had been a ridiculous week for trailers. It started with Terminator Genisys... which I'm pretty apathetic towards. Then Star Wars blew the socks off people. Then Batman v Superman got leaked and that's been dividing the crowd. I don't know if The Fantastic Four people were like, we have to get on this high of trailers along with everyone else, but to me, this trailer was a whisper compared to the huge monsters that came before it.

But regardless of the wagon it jumped on, how is this trailer?


I don't know. I definitely am not as big of a Fantastic Four fan as I am say, Batman v Superman or whatever. I'm sure my biases are there.

But nothing about this film stands out to me.

The trailer gives a little bit more on plot and what exactly is happening in the movie.

Reed Richards (played by Miles Teller) is brought in to a project headed up by Dr. Franklin Storm (played by Reg E. Cathey). He meets Sue Storm (played by Kate Mara) He meets Johnny Storm (played by Michael B Jordan). And he meets Victor Domashev (played by Tobey Kebbell).

He brings along his friend Ben Grimm (played by Jaimie Bell) and they're working on a project that cracks interdimensional travel.

Does that sound cool? Yes.

Does this trailer excite me? No.

I can't quite pin it down yet.

Maybe its Miles Teller. The guy looks and sounds bored in this trailer. I haven't seen Whiplash yet so I can't say I've seen his best work, but I'm not totally convinced on Miles Teller yet. I wasn't wild about him in Divergent or Insurgent. And outside of that, I really can't tell yet.

We do get a little bit better of look at the powers of all the members of the team and don't get me wrong, as much as I think Miles Teller looks bored in this trailer, him and the rest of the cast are very talented.

There's just been something about this film that has always been off with people. There has been a lot of news bringing this movie down. News likes the production has been a mess, news like the director walked out for a little bit for some reason. Just a lot of politics.

And this movie has a decent amount of pressure on it. We all, in one way or another know what kind of mess the first Fantastic Four movies were. They were not good because they were so campy, and came out in a time when people didn't take superhero movies seriously.

And honestly, they probably did the right approach. Make the movie silly, campy, whatever. I mean think about it, you've got a stretchy guy, a rock dude, a guy who can burst into flames, and a girl who can turn invisible. That's a weird set up.

But the first light and funny Fantastic Four movies didn't do too well, so where do you go from there? Dark and serious.

I don't know. I am really back and forth with this film. On one hand, the first time I saw the trailer, I got a little bit excited. Its cool to see this team come back to the big screen and it made me interested in the project. Obviously, I'm going to see it to see if the film is good or not. But the trailer really doesn't make an impression on me. Not nearly as much as Batman v Superman or Star Wars.

Now that's not really fair because those properties have been hyped up for years. This movie had a lot more to prove and I feel like some people were shut up by this trailer.

I definitely didn't come out of this trailer thinking the movie was going to suck, but the big thing is that there isn't anything drawing me to this movie. There's nothing amazing or new in this trailer that gets me overly excited.

The other big thing I'm sure that came out of this trailer was that we got to see Doom for the first time.

For someone who, again, knows nothing about the Fantastic Four and only know Dr. Doom from the first film, I am really apathetic towards this look.

Personally, I didn't hate the way Dr. Doom looked in the first movie. Was his origin kind of dumb, yeah it wasn't good at all. And I'll say the same thing about Doom as I will for the entire movie. The standards are set pretty low as far as previous iterations. As much as people think that this movie is going to suck, or this movie is not going to be good, in comparison with the one from 2005, its going to be awesome.

I don't, not like the trailer. Again, its cool to see the story finally shaping and the idea of seeing a narrative with people with powers always gets me, the problem is that there's nothing in this trailer that makes me believe this movie is going to stand out as a great movie.

The only way it will is if this movie is more than just a movie that helps Fox keep the rights of The Fantastic Four from returning to Marvel. The only way it will is if I go through that movie caring about the protagonists and their journey. And the only way it will is if this movie stands out from other films.

The Fantastic Four cannot just be another superhero origin story. It can't just be the tired tale of four people who are in an accident and come out of it with special abilities. Because that is no longer enough for films like this. There are too many superhero films for them to just have another origin story and expect me to care for the next movie when they start developing these characters finally.

There are parts of this trailer I like. But there's nothing that stands out. I will still watch it, but I have pretty low expectations at this point.

Those are my quick thoughts on the new Fantastic Four Trailer. What do you think? Do you think the film is going to be good or will it just be another superhero origin story? Comment and discuss below! Also follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 and get updates on movie news and reviews.

I'll leave you with this. On a totally different note, here is the red band trailer for Ted 2. While I have low expectations for Fantastic Four, I am incredibly optimistic for Ted 2. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment