Monday, April 20, 2015

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Trailer



Its been a trying weekend for me. There's still some residue from the whole ordeal going on, as well as a lot of crap going on this week so I probably will not be posting anything for a week or so. We'll see, I'll post what I can.

But I did want to post something about the newest trailer for my most anticipated movie of 2016, and maybe just most anticipated film in general. I don't know if it surpasses Star Wars, but I am pumped for this movie.


Short answer. I loved it!

The trailer is divided into 2 with the focus being on the title characters, Batman and Superman. The first half is on Superman, showing how since Man of Steel, he's been such a figure of controversy. Some people see him as a god, a savior, some people see him as an intruder, even a false god.

I knew the movie was partly going to focus on the world's reaction to a demi god like Superman on our world, but I guess I didn't think they were going to go as far as some people thinking he actually is a god. Its an area that has never really been focused on before. In the Marvel Universe, its been established that these superheroes exist, they're apart of society as we know it, but they're more for merchandizing and stuff. Even though Thor is a god, people don't worship him. People don't see him as a savior.

I mean Superman has always been an analogy for Jesus but its always been in the subtext. Now its front and center which I think is a really cool way of doing it.

And of course, one of the skeptics that talk of Superman is Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor.

We don't see him yet.

I don't know, I'm still not one hundred percent on board with Eisenberg.

Granted, the only things that have alluded to his presence in this film is this picture and the short little line he has in the trailer, "Now we know, demons don't come from hell below, they come from the sky."

Am I excited for a totally different incarnation of Lex Luthor. Yes I am. But I will have to see Lex Luthor in a trailer before I say he's a good idea for the part.

Eisenberg continues to be the wild card here and we'll just have to see.

The trailer continues, showing images of Superman being awesome. All leading up to a statue of Superman with the words False God written on the chest. At that point I got the tingles and I think I was on board. You basically know a part of the conflict that is going on in the film and I am one hundred percent on board.

But then you just add on more greatness when the second half that focuses on Batman starts up.

We then hear Alfred (played by Jeremy Irons) saying, "That's how it starts, the fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness. That make good men cruel."

Now, is he talking about Bruce Wayne, is he talking about Lex Luthor. I don't know. The trailer makes us believe that he's talking about Bruce Wayne and possibly feeling helpless and powerless compared to Superman, but I don't know, I'm still not quite certain.

I mean if it was a Michael Caine Alfred speech, he's be making it to Bruce Wayne and he'd be talking about a new villain. I don't know. Maybe things are a little different. We'll have to see.

We see a lot of shots of Batman, and he looks freaking awesome. I think if there were still doubts about Ben Affleck and how he looks as Batman, I think those doubts are out the window now. For me, its now Ben Affleck actually showing me whether or not he's a good actor or not. Only time will tell.

But of course we have the scene that was teased at Comic-Con where Batman is looking up at Superman in his mechanized suit.

You can tell things are about to go down.

And he delivers probably the best line in the trailer. "Tell me, do you bleed? You will". Cut to the logo of the trailer, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Blackout.

And there was not a spine untingled in the room.

Honestly, this is how the movie should have been advertised the entire time. This is the movie I've been craving ever since they announced they were doing this movie. A film centered on the conflict between Batman and Superman. I would have preferred it to be a sequel to Man of Steel with Batman in it, but from this trailer, it looks like a simple crossover film with Superman and Batman at odds with each other.

I didn't need to know that Wonder Woman was going to be in the film, I didn't need to know that Aquaman was going to be in the film, I didn't need the title to be Dawn of Justice, suggesting that this might be a prelude to the Justice League.

All that in theory sounds great but that's not the vibe I got from this trailer. Its just a teaser but I got the feeling that this movie was going to focus in on Batman versus Superman.

This trailer did not make this movie feel like a prequel to the Justice League, it did not feel like a teaser for The Justice League. It felt like the story is going to be focused on the title characters.

And that's all I wanted.

I hope this trailer is getting people back on topic and getting the movie back onto its main target. Telling a story.

Will this story lead to a larger franchise, yes. But that shouldn't be the purpose of the film. The purpose of the film should not be to create a franchise. That's what happened with The Amazing Spider-man 2, and look how that turned out.

An entire franchise cannot lay on the shoulders of one movie. Now, if they were going to lay on the shoulders of one movie, it would probably be this one, especially since its not a direct Man of Steel sequel.

All I can say is, this trailer did the right thing. You're on the right track Zack Snyder. This is what I have to say to you now.


One last thing worth mentioning. I think Christopher Nolan had very little to do with this movie besides an advisory role as an executive producer, but I think the one thing he added in, at least on the trailer, was the signature Nolan Batman pose.

Its the one where Batman is standing on a tall tower or something just bruiting over the city.


Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome, but think about it. How did he climb all the way up there? Why did he climb all the way up there? I'll tell you why. To look freaking awesome, that's why.

But those are all my thoughts on the trailer. I'm really looking forward to this film. What do you think? Comment and Discuss below! And follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 to get updates on movie news and reviews!

I'll leave you with this. Here's the trailer, but done with Christopher Reeves and Adam West Superman and Batman. I gotta kick out of it. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment