Saturday, June 27, 2015

2 Guns


This is a movie I've wanted to see for a while but never really had the opportunity to. I mean it has Mark Wahlberg, it has Denzel Washington, two A list movie stars who I enjoy immensely, in an action comedy that actually looks really fun. Even though the title makes it seem like the movie is a sequel, this movie has a lot going for it right off the bat.

2 Guns follows the story of two criminals Robert Trench (played by Denzel Washington) and Michael Stigman (played by Mark Wahlberg. They are doing business with a Mexican cartel kingpin and are trying to score big.

Unknown to Stigman however, Trench is a DEA agent in deep with the cartel trying to get to the top echelons and take it down. Unknown to Trench, Stigman is with Naval intelligence. The plan they hatch to get prosecute the cartel leader is to rob a bank with the cartel's money in it and screw the other one over so the money can be traced back to the cartel and they can be sent to prison. Of course, since both of them are law enforcement without the other ones knowing, they unwittingly outsmart each other and end up robbing the cartel as well as money from the CIA.

That's a brief summary of an actually pretty complicated movie. This movie has it all, DEA, Mexican Cartels, the CIA, Naval Special forces, everything. Around every corner is a new threat, and in the center of it all is Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg.

The thing I like about this movie is that it doesn't feel like a straight up comedy. The problem I have with movies like Rush Hour and the reason I never got into a movie like that was because it felt too comedic and it was going for the laughs rather than giving a good action film.

This movie seems to give more of an action film vibe to it with a lot of comedic quips in there. Wahlberg is hilarious in this film. He's this hot tempered badass and the things he says are hilarious. They don't feel like jokes, they feel like something someone who is really funny would say. On top of that, the chemistry between him and Washington is fantastic. These two work off one another really well. You are never really sure whether or not these two are friends or whether or not they're going to shoot one another and its great.

One of the issues I have with this movie is the progression of the story. It starts out like an actually really fun and interesting crime action film.

You've got Edward James Olmos as the Mexican Druglord, you've got Bill Paxton as an intimidating CIA agent. You've got James Marsden as a Naval intelligence guy. And then you've got Paula Patton as Trench's partner in the DEA and former girlfriend.

The story just gets larger and larger and more and more crazy and they do a good job at that progression.

The problem is how ridiculous it actually gets.

Like I said before, this movie doesn't feel like an comedy action film, it feels like an action film first with a lot of smart quips. Its not until the end that things get really ridiculous and the action becomes more comedic than it does "action-y". There's a better way of putting that but instead of saying, "that was awesome" I ended up saying, that's really ridiculous.

Also because it gets so ridiculous, the plot gets a little bit convoluted and eventually I kind of lost track of who had what money and who wanted to kill who because eventually, everyone wanted to kill one another and it all kind of gets crazy.

2 Guns is definitely not a bad movie. Its actually a lot of fun. Again, I love Washington and Wahlberg in this movie. I'm kind of wondering why these two haven't worked together before. If they have let me know because I want to see that movie. But these two are a lot of fun and its not Denzel being cheesy with his comedic roles like I feel he has before, he's being smart and entertaining.

Is it a perfect movie? Absolutely not. Its a little bit complicated and it loses a little bit of the perfect tone it creates in the beginning, but I really did like this movie. I think its worth a rental or worth watching if it comes on on TV (which is what happened to me) Check it out.

But those are my thoughts on 2 Guns. What did you think? Comment and Discuss below! You can also Follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 to get updates on movie news and reviews. You can also send me your thoughts on the film and requests for films I can review in the future.

I'll leave you with this. I'm going to see Ted 2 tonight, this movie has Mark Wahlberg in it, I'm putting the Restricted trailer for Ted 2 on this, just so you can get a flavor for what I'll be reviewing. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment