Thursday, June 25, 2015

Walk of Shame


Its actually kind of amazing that this movie got made. It took me about an hour into this movie to realize that all this movie was was exactly what it said it was, a "walk of shame"... and that's it.

Sure they tried to do something a little more, but in the end, this movie just gave me a headache. This may have been due to the nature of the work I was doing while I was watching the movie but damn this movie was awful. I think I needed to review a shitty movie as I was on a pretty good streak with Gone Girl and Inside Out, its time for a bad one.

Now this movie started out like a pretty standard chick flick. I was channel surfing, I needed to find something worth watching, I thought, I like Elizabeth Banks, this opening (a bunch of news anchor blunders) could give way to a kind of funny movie, maybe its a movie about a news anchor trying to get away from her news blunder that they show in the beginning. That's really what they build it up to be.

Well like I said, the beginning seems like a pretty typical comedy/ romantic comedy. Elizabeth Banks (don't really remember, or care what her name was in the movie) is a news anchor for a local news station and is up for a job with a bigger news station. But when it seems like she won't get the job and her boyfriend movies out, her friends (played by Gillian Jacobs and Sarah Wright) make it their job to give her the time of life, get her drunk and have a good time.

Banks seems to be having a good time until she's locked out of the club. She then meets James Marsden (again, don't remember/ care about his character's name. Before she goes with him however, she is informed that she is actually going to get the promotion as long as her next news broadcast goes well.

Well she goes home with James Marsden, they have a fun time, hook up. She then decides, I have to ditch him and go home. Not a totally unwarranted, but she leaves at a very early time in the morning.

Of course the minute she goes outside, she sees her car get towed and she left her phone... somewhere. I guess she left it in Marsden's place... for some reason. And her purse was in her car... for some reason. And she has no way to communicate with anybody. So she starts her "walk of shame" to get out of the neighborhood she was in and get to the career making broadcast in time.

Again, I'm not totally sure how this movie got made. Because again, half way through the movie, I realized that the entire movie was her spending THE ENTIRE DAY trying to get home. Without a cell phone, without any money, etc.

Now the joke here is that the signature yellow dress she's wearing isn't her's. Its her friend's and they say in the beginning that it kind of makes her look like a slut. I'm not totally sure why her friends are horrible people like that, but okay.

But while it was kind of funny to have some banter between Banks and her friends, EVERYONE ELSE thought she was a hooker. EVERYONE!

Like, I can understand the taxi driver thinking she's a hooker. Sure. I can understand some other people thinking she's a hooker because she's on the streets looking great. But holy crap. EVERYONE thought that she was a hooker. EVERYONE. Cops, Bus Drivers, EVERYONE!

And that jokes just continues on and on and on.

And she just never finds a way to get home. I mean for god's sake. Call a cab that isn't that fat guy from Borat, call the actual cops, not the dumbasses thinking your a hooker. Talk to anybody on the street, let them know who you are, cause apparently she's this well known news anchor, and just ask them for a ride. Its not like she's dressed like a hobo, there are actually people who recognize her, she could be like, I need your help!

Like I wish I could tell you what happened in this movie. Like apparently she wonders into the set of The Wire at one point, gets some crack. I guess this movie could be considered a modern retelling of some kind of hero's journey but my god, this movie was bad.

It had no structure, the characters were just Elizabeth Banks running around in a yellow dress and James Marsden looking for her.

And the unfortunate part is, I like a lot of these actors. I like Elizabeth Banks, I like Gillian Jacobs. I like James Marsden. I like a lot of the people involved with this movie. But my god this movie was awful.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT see this movie. If you've read my reviews, I try and be as honest as I can, but I also try to be positive. There is nothing positive about this movie. Its just down right awful.

But those are my thoughts on Walk of Shame. What did you think? Comment and Discuss below! You can also follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 and get updates on movie news and reviews. You can also send me your thoughts on movies I review and give me requests for future reviews.

I'll leave you with this. Probably my favorite part of this movie was the fact that Gillian Jacobs is getting a paycheck. I love her in Community, I want to see her in more... I mean more stuff that is better that is. Here's her talking about her name. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment