Friday, June 12, 2015

How Jurassic World jumped the Shark

So here is the unfortunate thing about Jurassic World.

I mentioned before that the movie needed to raise the stakes a little bit more. Unfortunately, the movie breaches the line of being comical by how huge it gets.

This is my spoiler talk so if you haven't seen Jurassic World, you probably won't want to read this.

I thought the movie did a good job at raising the stakes. Creating a threat that was bigger than anybody could ever expect.

When the pterodactyls started attacking all the people in the park, I was just thinking to myself. Well shit, this is exactly the worst nightmare anybody could ever expect. You've got all these people here just enjoying their day when suddenly they're attacked by dinosaurs.

This is the exact fear that everyone who has seen Jurassic Park, or knows anything about the old films, could only imagine happening.

I thought this scene was pretty good.

The unfortunate part is that the trailer really kind of gave this away.

I knew the park was going to get attacked. While I saw this as a worst case scenario, I knew it was going to happen from the trailers. I think they probably could have hidden that a little bit better. Unfortunately, this isn't the only scene that kind of gave the movie away. And this is something that has become more and more of a problem in that trailers have begun to show WAY too much.

Furthermore, they really gave the Indominus Rex away too quickly. I mean, to be fair, the dinosaur isn't really anything to brag about, its just a white T-Rex with long arms. All the jokes about T-Rexes not being able to grab stuff or do things with their arms goes away.

But they also gave away the intellect of this dinosaur.

This dinosaur is suppose to be the most intelligent thing created. So much that it actually communicates with other dinosaurs and turns them on the humans.

This happens with the pterodactyls. The I-Rex (I'm just going to call her that now because that's a lot easier) communicates with them to take down the helicopter with the large gun on it.

But I get it, the humans didn't know the I-Rex put the avian wing on the humans, so they obviously think that they can use the raptors on the I-Rex and things will be great, all while the audience knows they are screwing themselves the minute they put the raptors out there.

So when put the raptors on the trail of the Indominus Rex, she communicates with the raptors and actually turns them on the humans. And that probably should have been the point where the humans throw down their weapons and run for their lives. But no there's still this connection between the raptors and Chris Pratt and he is able to get control of them again, pretty magically actually.

I would have actually preferred Chris Pratt having to put down his raptors after they chose their "new alpha". While that would have been sad, as he had created a bond with them, I can overlook the sudden change of heart. My disbelief is still suspended.

Well okay, but the raptors can't take down the Indominus Rex. So what else could possibly pose a threat to this huge dinosaur?

The Motherfucking Tyrannosaurus Rex
Bryce Dallas Howard goes and releases the T-Rex and sics him on the Indominus Rex. And my initial thought was that you think there is going to be a fight but the Indominus Rex can communicate with other dinosaurs. Why doesn't she do that and turn both T-Rex on them? At that point you would realize that nothing could stop this dinosaur. You'd have both the Indominus Rex AND the T-Rex after them. But that didn't happen oddly enough, even though it happened with every other dinosaur the Indominus has run into. But at this point, my disbelief is still suspended. Sure, let's bring in the T-Rex like the Raging Bull getting ready for his last fight. I'm sure the king of the dinosaurs can defeat the I-Rex... oh wait he can't.

And this I also could have accepted. At that point, I was thinking, Oh shit, not even the T-Rex can stop this thing, the humans need to run, get as many people off the island as they can and then nuke the shit out of that thing.

The Indominus Rex is pretty much going to put the kabash on the T-Rex. Everything looks hopeless. And everything leading up to that point, I could have accepted. It was a little bit over the top to brining in the T-Rex like he was a heavy weight boxer that tagged in after the raptors couldn't take the Indominus out but I get it.

But at this point, the T-Rex has lost. Chris Pratt, the kids, Bryce Dallas Howard, they have no more cards up their sleeves, they need to get the hell out of there, or be eaten.

And then out of no where, comes another Raptor, sprinting in like he's listening to Chariots of Fire and the T-Rex and the Raptor team up to fight the Indominus Rex. At this point, I am laughing my ass off, because that raptor looked hilarious. And for some reason, the raptor and the T-Rex team up.

Now, the movie could have stopped there. The T-Rex Raptor team could have killed the I-Rex, they could have all lived happily ever after. It would be really ridiculous, but I could have accepted it. I was on the edge, but I could have accepted it. But no, these guys needed to throw in one more thing to put me over the edge.

With no build up, or expectations, out pops the water monster and he brings the I-Rex down with him into the water and that was the end of the movie. The T-Rex says, "well, I'm good" and goes back to his cage. The raptor gives Chris Pratt one last look and goes back to his cage and the movie basically ends showing the T-Rex taking his place as king of the dinosaurs once again.

Again, everything up to the part where the raptor and the T-Rex teaming up, I could have accepted. But throwing in that water monster after he had been used one too many times, I just lost it.

And it was at this point that I realized that this movie had jumped the shark.


And this was the point where I was laughing and my dad needed to tell me to be quiet. The movie just went to a level that was just more than I could handle. And I mean, its a movie about Dinosaurs. How realistic am I expecting it to be? But I'm sorry, having the raptor run in like chariots of fire, having the T-Rex show up, not be affected by the Indominus. And then having that sea monster show up out of no where, definitely jumped the shark.

The thing I'm worried about with this film is that I'm worried the people in charge of this film want to milk about five more sequels out of this franchise before it goes into remission again.

And the thing is, I think the movie is good enough, and will do well enough at the box office to merit a sequel.

As ridiculous as the set up is, as over the top it gets. The performances are good. The effects are good.

BD Wong got away to do more science shit. There's still people interested in dinosaurs. While the movie didn't absolutely set up for a sequel, its most likely going to happen.

Is that a bad thing? Well it depends. Look what happened last time a good Jurassic Park movie came out. Two horrible sequels happened. As long as people put time into it and think creatively about a sequel for this movie, I was entertained by this movie enough to go out and see a sequel, I just don't want to be made a fool.

We will see.

But do you think Jurassic World jumped the shark? Have you even seen it yet? Comment and Discuss below! Also follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 to get updates on movie news and reviews. You can also send me your thoughts on this film and requests for future reviews there as well.

I'll leave you with this. I'm realizing this video might have been a better choice. Here's Chris Pratt drunk talking about acting. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. No. And no, The Lost World is not horrible, however,JP3 it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jurassic World and Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom both jumped the shark they were so bad and unsimilar to the first two/three movies. The Lost World is actually great and clearly the second best in the franchise.

    ReplyDelete