Saturday, January 4, 2014

D/C Casting rumors

So near the end of 2013 there were a lot of rumors being thrown around of the various actors possibly getting involved in future D/C projects, most likely Man of Steel 2 since there really isn't anything else confirmed yet.

I'm trying not to get too swept up in rumors because I have gotten too excited before and it turned out not to be true. I'm talking of course about Bryan Cranston being rumored to be Lex Luthor. Those rumors have been denied, however, I am still optimistic that Cranston will still be in the role. I however will not be talking about Cranston as I already did a post on that a while ago.

But seeing as it is 2014 and I have already had a lot of time to think about these rumors, I'm going to start discussing them and just have fun speculating. If you go back and look at my Justice League picks from earlier in 2013, I wanted them to cast Richard Armitage as Batman, and while I still think that would have been a good idea, I was wrong.

Anyway, the names I'll be talking about are names that have been strongly rumored, enough that they've gotten an unspecified role or they're just interesting rumors. These names include: Jason Momoa, Joaquin Phoenix, Dwayne Johnson, and Denzil Washington.

Denzil Washington - Green Lantern

I'll start with Denzil Washington. Apparently there was a rumor a couple weeks back that he was the frontrunner to play Green Lantern (John Stewart) in Man of Steel 2. Now I started with this one because its the weakest of them all. I've found that any rumor that is specific enough to come out and say, this actor is this person, is subject to skepticism. All the sources that say he's up for the role are really sketchy sources, and above all, I don't think he's right for the part.

Now that doesn't mean I don't think that if he was offered the part he wouldn't do a phenomenal job. I mean I'd be interested to see Denzil play a super hero, but it just doesn't seem likely. I don't know why but I just can't see Washington as a super hero much less the Green Lantern. Also, I hate to say it, but Denzil is getting old. I know Affleck is suppose to be playing an older more seasoned Bruce Wayne but that doesn't mean everyone in Man of Steel 2 needs to be old as hell.

But it also kind of raises the question of why the Green Lantern?

If you've read my Green Lantern review, you'll know that I was actually not a huge critic of the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds.

Yes, the movie had its problems. It wasn't quite the Green Lantern movie we were all expecting. But, that doesn't mean you absolutely have to scrap it and reboot the entire character.

That being said, I'm not surprised. That Green Lantern movie kind of put Warner Brothers in a tough position, especially once they set their sights on a Justice League movie. Had it been a good movie it would have made things a lot easier but now they have to make a wager between rebooting or hoping they can save that character with what they have.

Personally, I don't think Green Lantern should be in Man of Steel 2.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. They need to take their time with the build up to Justice League. But I say, perhaps we don't even start the initial Justice League with the Green Lantern. Maybe he comes in later once enough time has past and THEN you reboot the character.

I'm still going to watch it, and I'll watch every movie in between, just make it good.

One way they could do it, which I really doubt they will. (But hey, we can speculate here) Have someone play John Stewart Green Lantern. (again, probably not in Man of Steel 2, if I had my way) But in some project, have John Stewart do his thing.

Then at one point, have Hal Jordan (played by Ryan Reynolds) come in and the two team up together. This will make audiences comprehend the number of Green Lanterns they have been and then you get some time for people to kind of forget about how bad the Green Lantern movie was and they just feel good seeing Ryan Reynolds play the part how he was suppose to play it.

Again, this is very unlikely and has problems in its own but I think that'd be a cool way to compromise.

So in short, the Denzil rumor, I find it very hard to believe that Denzil will be in Man of Steel 2, or any superhero movie ever. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm not gonna be devastated if I don't see it, there are several other things I'm content with seeing Denzil in that the Green Lantern.

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson - Unknown role

So Dwayne Johnson (I'm not calling him the Rock anymore) has been on Twitter and has confirmed he's going to be involved with some DC project. Now, its not really known if that means its going to be Man of Steel 2. It could be another film.

Now, regardless of the role, this makes sense. It actually surprises me that Dwayne Johnson hasn't been called in for a Superhero movie yet. I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of him, but it just seems to make sense. Maybe as a villain, maybe as a hero, I don't know. But what would he play?

Well again, rumors are speculating around that Johnson will be playing John Stewart. And to that I say, Ehh.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. I would much rather see him in the part than Washington and damn would that be a stacked John Stewart. But it also has to do with the fact its Dwayne Johnson. He's not my favorite actor. He can do Fast and Furious but I don't really like those movies to begin with.

Maybe I just need to watch more stuff with Johnson in it, but I'm not a big fan of him taking on an iconic character like Green Lantern.

So what about Martian Manhunter? This I could actually see. Again, it would be a stacked MM but I kind of like this role better. I think he would have to be underplayed, similarly to what I said about Wonder Woman. I want this Man of Steel sequel to focus on Batman and Superman. These other superheroes can be in it, I just don't want them a large focus of the movie. Kal-El could meet MM and he could help him find some way to stop the villain or Bruce Wayne, I don't know and I don't care really, as long as he's not a main focus of the story. As long as its a good teaser for the Justice League, I'm totally cool with that.

Some other roles people have been speculating, Lobo, and Black Adam. I don't really know enough about either to say whether or not its a good idea.

I will say, he looks like Black Adam but I don't know where he would fit in a Batman vs. Superman film. Maybe he's the villain, that'd be cool. I think Black Adam is more in the league of Shazaam but it doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool.

Overall, I really want to see Dwayne Johnson in the DC universe in one way or another. I just don't know how.

My preferences would be to see him as Black Adam (in a way that makes sense) or as Aquaman or as Cyborg.

As long as its a role he can handle, looks good in, and is in a context that doesn't detract from Superman and Batman in the upcoming sequel, I'm totally fine with whatever role Johnson gets.

Joaquin Phoenix - Unknown Role

Now, I'm not a big fan of Joaquin Phoenix as an actor. I don't really know why, I'm just not.

That being said, I'm totally cool with him being in Man of Steel 2. The rumors surrounding this casting say that they're looking for him to play the villain.

This of course is assuming that Phoenix will play Lex Luthor.

Now, I'm impartial to Bryan Cranston playing the role... but I actually am interested to see Joaquin Phoenix play Lex Luthor.

Its especially due to the picture above. I don't know what its from but Phoenix is looking badass and conniving. And I think that's the direction they should head with Lex Luthor in Man of Steel 2.

Now, before I go on, I should mention that I don't want Lex Luthor to be the main villain in Man of Steel 2. I think they should build up to him, introduce him of course and have him biding his time until he is ready to strike, whether that be in the Justice League movie or in the next Man of Steel movie.

Regardless, I hope that this Lex Luthor is a very different one than the one portrayed by Kevin Spacey and Gene Hackman.

While both these two did a great job portraying a smart business man with a funny almost 50's feel to them, I feel like a Joaquin Phoenix Luthor will be much darker and more reserved.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. This Lex Luthor cannot be funny. I mean did you laugh at all in Man of Steel 1? As much as I would have loved to see Spacey continue as Lex Luthor, that performance has no place in the Man of Steel universe.

All of that considered, I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Brothers surprised us and casted Joaquin Phoenix as the main villain but not Lex Luthor. Perhaps as Brainiac or Metallo? This would make way for Bryan Cranston to come in as Lex Luthor. (I obviously have not given up hope yet)

Jason Momoa - Unknown Role

I talked a little bit about this casting in my Conan the Barbarian review so I'll try not to repeat myself too much. Overall, I'm alright with Momoa joining the cast of Man of Steel but who will he play?

I personally want him to play Aquaman. Although talks have said he will play Lobo which I could see as I am only basing that prediction off of looks.

However, there is one rumor that is going around about Momoa and Dwayne Johnson.

There is a rumor floating around that one of these two guys will be playing Doomsday, the emotionless, heartless animal that killed Superman in The Death of Superman.

It doesn't matter who they would give that part to, I think that is an absolutely terrible idea and should not happen.

We're talking about the monster that kills Superman. And there are talks of bringing him into a movie focused on Batman and Superman? I mean it is putting the focus a little bit more on Superman which is better than a lot of the other rumors have been saying but they SHOULD NOT bring Doomsday in.

Batman is already an awesome addition the movie. It really will create the perfect dynamic between Supermand and Batman and get a real opportunity to show that relationship. Don't ruin that by throwing in one of the most popular Superman stories in comic book history!

Leave Momoa as Lobo, leave Johnson as Green Lantern, or any other character, I don't care. Just don't bring in Doomsday. This is a personal plea to Warner Brothers. Doomsday needs to be done with care and done correctly. I know there is a lot of pressure being put on by Marvel and you feel you need something to make DC stand out, I will only say, its not time for Doomsday!

Leave that for the Justice League movie, or the 3rd installment of the Man of Steel. Just don't do it in the Man of Steel sequel!

I don't give a shit who they have play Green Lantern, I don't care who they let play Lex Luthor, as long as they're decent actors and will make Man of Steel 2 great, than that's great. But I will not tolerate DC and Warner Brothers just trying to make a fortune by prematurely blowing their wad.

So if I had to choose where I wanted these four actors in Man of Steel 2 or a DC project, this is what I would choose.

Jason Momoa - Lobo (or Aquaman)
Joaquin Phoenix - Lex Luthor (or Brainiac)
Dwayne Johnson - Martian Manhunter
Denzil Washington - Doing something else.

So that's some of my predictions when it comes to recent casting rumors. We have a lot of time till these things start getting confirmed. I just know I'm going to have a lot of fun speculating about this movie.


So what do you think? Are you excited about the casting rumor I have presented before you? What about my picks, what do you think? Let me know and comment below.

I'll leave you with this. I'm still super psyched about Man of Steel 2. I think they should call it Man of Steel: Total Pwnage.


No comments:

Post a Comment