Sunday, June 22, 2014

Congo


I try not to do reviews of movies that I've seen extensive reviews about. There are several critics that I watch and some of them do in depth reviews of movies, taking them almost scene by scene and tearing them apart.

I, unfortunately, don't have the time or the technology to do such an endeavor. Therefore, I give you an overarching review, pointing out as much good and bad things of the film as I can.

So that being said, I've seen an extensive review of Congo before done by The Nostalgia Critic.

Here's that review

But I did sit through this movie, why shouldn't I give at last a little bit of a review of it. It might be short, but here it is.

Congo follows the story of a team of people going to the Congo in order to return a captive gorilla to her home in the wild, and find a team of scientists who had gone missing.

The movie focuses mainly on Dr. Peter Elliot (played by Dylan Walsh) and Dr. Karen Ross (played by Laura Linney). Elliot has developed a way to teach gorillas how to talk. The gorilla he's done the majority of his testing with is a gorilla named Amy. And when I say gorilla, I mean an obvious guy in a gorilla suit. Its actually really funny the dynamic between these two. In many ways, Elliot treats Amy as a child but there's a weird dynamic that the movie awkwardly creates. I don't know, its just kind of strange. They're obviously trying to give off the father daughter relationship but it instead comes off as a guy who's into gorillas.

On the other hand, you have Karen Ross, who works for the CIA? Or some lazer company?... or something...

Mainly her goal is to go looking for her ex-fiance as his team was testing a new technology of lasers and they lost communication with them.

Along the way, they pick up more and more companions. One being Ernie Hudson (from Ghostbusters) who happens to say everything in probably the coolest voice ever in the world. I don't know why, but Ernie Hudson makes his way as probably the coolest person in this entire movie.

Also Tim Curry is in the movie as a rich Romanian who funds the expedition. Frankly, this is just Tim Curry playing Tim Curry with a Romanian accent.

He of course is a little weird and doesn't add a whole lot to the movie but he's a lot more entertaining than a lot of this movie.

Now I'll be fair. There are actually some fun moments in this movie. Its set up as an action adventure feeling, exploration of the jungle and that whole stuff. There actually is a little recollection to a sort of Indiana Jones style, but its not nearly close to it at all.

This movie instead is more funny in ways its not actually suppose to be. The gorillas, a random laser gun near the end, Ernie Hudson's awesome voice.

I don't know. There's not too much that I can say about this movie that hasn't been said before by Nostalgia Critic or someone else. There's something to be said that I watched this movie back to back with Sharknado.

This movie is just down right funny. Its go campy and cooky effects, the story is really complete crap.

The individual performances really aren't the worst things ever. Ernie Hudson of course just has fun with the role because he probably knew it was crap. I've never been a fan of Dylan Walsh, and Laura Linney was probably the best, and that's not saying much for her performance.

I think its a movie thats really funny just to watch with friends when you don't really want to think and instead want to just make fun of a film.

Don't expect too much out of this film and you'll enjoy yourself a lot more. Its really not good and should only be watched if your drunk or have nothing else to do with your time.

I told you I was going to keep this short. That's my review of Congo. Have you seen it? What did you think of it? Comment and Discuss below.

I'll leave you with this. This is probably the only scene that is mildly entertaining from this movie where our heroes are fighting a horde of evil gorillas. The Scene is called, "Put Em on the Endangered species list" That is actually pretty badass. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment