Monday, June 2, 2014

More Women in Star Wars!

This will probably be a short post but I did promise I'd do more posts on Star Wars and I am writing this not 5 minutes after I heard this news.

Here's the link to my earlier post on the new Star Wars cast

Now one of the complaints with the initial cast was the fact that there wasn't any women in the cast. There was Carrie Fisher and Daisy Ridley. But I called it from the minute I heard that criticism that this wasn't the only casting. There were most announcements to come out and I was 100% certain they were going to cast more women in this new Star Wars movie.

And lo and behold, guess what I stumbled upon not ten minutes ago.

Its been announced that Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave) and Gwendolyn Christie (Game of Thrones) have joined the cast of Star Wars Episode 7: The Ancient Fear.

They'll be joining the original cast of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and the new cast of people like Oscar Isaacs, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver and more.

The thing I like about this casting is that it just solidifies the talent they're bringing in for this movie. Nyong'o was fantastic in 12 Years a Slave. I'm not a huge fan of Gwendolyn Christie's character in Game of Thrones but I can't deny she does a good job in it. They're both still relatively unknown actresses but they have the talent. And that is a great approach I think Abrams and the rest of the crew working on Star Wars is taking.

As far as speculation goes, I'd like to see Lupita Nyong'o as a Jedi. And I'll say this was a casting that was rumored before. People were almost expecting this casting but I like how they announced it along with someone like Gwendolyn Christie.

I don't think anybody could have called Christie's involvement and I love it when they catch us off guard on things like this.

Its hard to speculate a lot of things from her character on Game of Thrones but if you look at the picture above, I could almost see a villain or a female officer in that. But that's another thing I like about this casting is that there's still room for speculation as their names were the only thing announced. Not their characters, not what role they'll be playing, nothing.

Does it mean the new Star Wars movie is guaranteed to be good. No it doesn't. However, neither did the casting. All it does for me is make me optimistic. There's good talent, as long as its utilized well, its off to a good start. But again. I will give a warning to my buddy J.J.


Like I said, pretty short post but what do you think about the new casting? What are you speculations? Comment and discuss below.

I'll leave you with this. What do you get when you put Game of Thrones and Star Wars together? You get me kind of wanting Sean Bean to be in a Star Wars movie now... Damn. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment