Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Elysium: Sequel...?

You know a movie is working towards being an Oscars contender when all the trailers are super intense and obviously Oscar contenders themselves.


I actually didn't hear too much about Elysium before it came out. I had heard the name but I wasn't incredibly pumped for it. I love a good Sci Fi movie whenever they come out and I loved District 9. I knew I was eventually going to see Elysium but for some reason it wasn't an impending need for me. I've been so disappointed with the movies that have come out this summer since Man of Steel and Star Trek that I didn't make it a priority.

But it happened. And I'm glad it did.

Elysium is the story of a futuristic Earth that is so overpopulated, so diseased, so exhausted that the rich and powerful build space station station that is the Citadel from Mass Effect.



I mean.. c'mon


The story is centered around a man from Earth (played by Matt Damon) who is down on his luck and needs to get to Elysium to heal an affliction that is going to kill him in 5 days. (I'm trying to not spoil anything) All the while the defense... person in the future government (Jodi Foster) is pulling a hard line on people illegally coming to Elysium, employing help from mercenaries (like Sharlto Copley) and thinks the government should be run better... that's all I'll say.

The movie is beautiful. The visuals are stunning, the CGI is fantastic, and the environment looks realistic. I don't know what the budget was but showing what director Neil Blomkamp can do with a limited budget like he did with District 9, its amazing what he could do with a budget like the one used in Elysium

Now as far as cast goes. It's fantastic. I learned that they originally wanted Eminem to play the part played by Matt Damon... I didn't think there would ever be a movie out there that Matt Damon was the second choice to Eminem. It is beyond me. I guess they were going for the Ex-con look like he was a rapper... but nothing has proved to me that Eminem can do anything besides Eminem... and I haven't seen 8 Mile. (future review?)


Jodi Foster is a cold bitch in this movie. She is the poster girl for the 1% if there ever was one. She looks down in disgust at the people living on Earth and there is no remorse in what she does. There's one part where you can kind of see it in the end but I'm getting into spoiler territory.

And then there's Sharlto Copley. This guy is a fantastic actor. He was phenomenal in District 9, I loved him in A-Team, despite bad reviews of the movie (I personally enjoyed it) and he was great in Elysium. He plays this ruthless mercenary secretly hired by Jodi Foster. This guy is just unpredictable and you never know what he's going to do next... all you know is that he is the bad guy plain and simple. You love to hate him and that is the best compliment you can give an actor playing an antagonist I believe.

There are other characters in the movie, Alice Braga plays a childhood friend of Damon's. Plain and simple, she's hot. She's got that cute girl next door look even though she's 30. Way to go. However, she tends to play that love interest that never quite happens. That's all I'll say but it happens in this movie and it happened in I am Legend... weird... There's also William Fichtner who I love in anything he does. He's an underrated actor but he's brings 100% every time he works, he should get more recognition.


I'm still unsure what the connection to District 9 Elysium has. On face value, there doesn't seem to be one. As much as I want to believe, Kruger from Elysium is not Wikus from District 9. But if there turns out to be some connection, I will flip my shit. I think the alien presence on Earth could have contributed to the overpopulation and disease but there is no mention of it. I think District 9 is suppose to take place in the present whereas Elysium takes place in 2154. I don't know. Maybe. I really hope they're connected but there is no indications they are... which I was kind of disappointed at first.

Regardless, Elysium is a solid movie. Definitely check it out.

 Did you see Elysium? Did you see District 9? Do you think they're connected? What are your theories? Let me know, comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment