Friday, August 23, 2013

The waiting game is over for Batman

It was just announced last night who is going to be playing Batman in the Man of Steel sequel in which Superman and Batman face off. And the winner is:

Ben Freaking Affleck

Now me and Ben have a little bit of a history. I first saw him in the movie Paycheck. I liked that movie and I think it was mostly due to the story. So I was able to forgo the acting of the movie and just enjoy it. It still a favorite of mine. But going back I realize, Ben Affleck and Uma Thurman are kind of awful in that movie. 
This post isn't about Paycheck. I might do a review of that later but right now I'm going to focus on Ben Affleck. 

The guy has proven to be a really big name in Hollywood. He's been in some very successful movies as an actor and I will say that I have loved every movie that he has directed. 

As a director, I love him. As an actor... its a confusing relationship. 

I mean he's done some really, really shitty movies out there like Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, Hollywoodland (where he actually played George Reeves, the original Superman) and Daredevil. But to counter that, he's also been in some really good movies. Like Good Will Hunting, State of Play, The Town, and Argo. But the problem I see in this is the fact that Affleck did not make those movies great with his acting. Argo and the Town (i'm more talking about Argo since I haven't seen the Town) were great movies but it wasn't due to Ben Affleck's acting, it was his directing that made it good. 

So for me, I have not been convinced that Ben Affleck can act. I think we need someone who can steal the show and really control the role of Bruce Wayne / Batman. That or Henry Cavill is going to have to really up his game to steal the show again. 

That all being said, I think Affleck is up to the challenge. 

Let's look at the positives. Affleck is kind of a pretty boy. This may sound like a bad thing but I think it could be a good angle for Bruce Wayne. You magnify the charisma and suaveness of Bruce Wayne to create a sort of dual personality for Batman. I don't think pulling off Bruce Wayne will be a problem for Affleck. Is he going to be the same Bruce Wayne as Christian Bale? No. And that's a good thing! This is acting, new actors playing roles that have been played before and making them new. 

Also, Affleck is an incredibly fit actor. While true he hasn't been in too many action movies, I think he's capable of it. That's not really the biggest problem I see. The biggest problem is that Affleck seems a little bit too Hollywood to be a menacing Caped Crusader. While it's not too much that he couldn't play a Bruce Wayne, I just don't buy that Ben Affleck could go out and be a vigilante. That's a little bit of an exaggeration but the point is he give off that intimidating feel. Batman has to have that feeling to him when he's facing criminals and he has to have it even more if he's going up against Superman.

Am I skeptical? Of course I'm skeptical. This is the same man who was apart of that awful movie we claim honors the men and women of Pearl Harbor. This is also the character that I was hoping so badly would be given to Richard Armitage... I guess it wasn't meant to be. 

But if Affleck can do this, I will have a newfound respect for this man. 

Think about it. This man is taking on a role that was just done last year by Christian Bale. I understand it was a totally different Batman but Affleck has to accomplish one of the quickest turnarounds for a reboot ever. Put that aside and he's taking on one of the most beloved Superheroes of our generation. It's an honor that not everyone gets, and not everyone who has gotten it has deserved it. (I'm talking to you Clooney)

That being said, If you fuck this up Affleck, it will confirm everything I have ever said about your acting being terrible... But no pressure. 

I'm rooting for him. I like every Batman fan wants to see a good Batman and we can't know until it comes out. I'm going to get really annoyed of this retort because everyone has been waiting to use it when this is casted, but it is true to say that everyone on the internet said they didn't want to see Heath Ledger as the Joker and he turned out to be one of the best incarnations ever played. (That is the last time I will use that retort) 

The last thing I'll mention is the importance of a chemistry between Affleck and Cavill. 

Cavill has already shown he can be the Man of Steel but I just don't know if these two wouldn't like each other... 

Again it comes down to Afflecks look. He needs to have that businessman look... which he kinda does but he also needs to look good in the costume, and if he doesn't, everything is lost. I would say that Affleck could do the same thing he's done for a lot movies, ride on the fact that the script or other actors are stealing the show and get by, but that's not going to work for this movie. Affleck needs to bring his A game and surprise me and a lot of other people that are skeptical of this casting. 

I will reserve judgement until the end of the post credits scene of Man of Steel 2... which they will have! But to quote every judge from every law TV show and movie, "You had better be going somewhere with this Mr. Snyder" 

So what do you think? Do you think that Affleck is a good choice for the Caped Crusader? Why or why not? Comment below and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment