Monday, August 26, 2013

Fox Superhero universe

I have still not seen the Wolverine.

I have heard good things about it, but I know that my wish was not fulfilled. So I don't really know why I would go see it. I may eventually.

I knew my wish was a long shot. I didn't however, know the direction they are apparently going for the future of the Fox Superhero movies.

I did a post on the Fantastic Four and mentioned that there was going to be a reboot, and I did a post on the X-Men: Days of Future Past movie they are making.

I did not make mention of the fact that these two entities are going to collide in the future. That is correct, The Fantastic Four and the X-men are going to be in the same universe and collide.

This is obviously an attempt by 20th Century Fox to get in on the crossover crowd that Marvel, so far, has gone unchallenged with The Avengers.

The question is, which studio will create their shared universe first, DC (Warner Bros) or Fox?

Furthermore, there is reports of a X-Force movie in the works. I don't know, much at all about X-Force. I know it is made up of a collaboration of Marvel characters, like Wolverine, Deadpool, Colossus, etc. The movie probably will not include Wolverine but there's rumors that Deadpool may be in the movie followed by more X super heroes.

I'm actually very surprised.

I thought that the remaining Marvel characters owned by Fox and Sony would eventually die out and they'd be forced to sell those rights back to Marvel/ Disney. That is a case that many fans (myself included) want to happen.

But Fox (at least) thinks they can join this competition we once thought was exclusive to Marvel/ Disney and DC.

Fox is going to continue with the string of movies surrounding the X-men universe they have created. Days of Future Past will probably open up a totally new world that will create different spinoffs and cross overs that will last for a very very long time. They have the Fantastic Four reboot and X-Force, and all three of these teams, along with whatever else Fox wants to throw at us will eventually be in the same movies. None of these movies have been planned by they will happen more likely than not.

Although Fox still has a lot of options they own the rights to, I just don't know if this is enough. X-Force seems to just be an offshoot of the X-men. And I've said before, I don't think the Fantastic Four are an enticing group to normal movie goers.

Also, there are some... problems... with the first three X-men movies and the next three.

Which makes me wonder.
Is this going to work?

When X-Men: Last Stand came out in 2006. It seemed as thought the film was at a good close. It was the end of a trilogy that unfortunately had a lack luster ending but was complete nonetheless. Yes Magneto had his power revival and Patrick Stewart came back to life? I guess. But it still seemed pretty closed up. X-Men origins provided a prequel as X-men: First Class provided a GOOD prequel.

Now I don't know if there was a plan from the beginning when they made Last Stand to create a new phase as it were of X-men, I personally don't think there was any idea of that until The Avengers did so well and Fox realized what they were competing with.

The problem is, The Last Stand causes so many problems that Days of Future Past is going to have to fix.


  1. Charles Xavier died. - Yes he had a moment where he was "alive" at the end but there was no explanation for that. Granted the vagueness of the revival opens up for a lot of leeway but its still a glaring problem. This resurrection better be good is what I'm saying
  2. Too many Xavier and Magneto mix ups. - Now that First Class has come out with younger Xavier being shot. It makes Patrick Stewart standing in both Last Stand AND Origins not make sense at all. He's walking when he goes to Jean Gray's house... and he's with Magneto. The timeline is so skewed in the earlier movies with the release of First Class that it makes combining these universe very complicated. It supports the idea that they had no idea that this second phase of X-men Movies was going to happen. 
  3. Rogue doesn't have her powers - Yeah, remember when you made Rogue a pointless character because her boy drama was too much. Because of that, she no longer has her abilities. Now this is a comic book movie. Basically anything can happen and that's probably what is going to happen in Days of Future Past. There is no way that Rogue is not going to have powers in this next phase of movies. 
These are only a few of the problems Days of Future Past is going to have to fix if its going to be a good movie. I really want the movie to be good and I want to see more X-men movies, All i'll say is tread carefully Singer. You still haven't impressed me yet. 

Once again, I haven't seen The Wolverine. I want to, I just don't want to spend money on a movie that is not going to end the way I want it to... meaning in a way that ends with Wolverine being recruited into the Avengers. 
I really want it to happen but I don't even need to see the movie to say, this will never happen... ever. 

Overall, we shall see where this goes. I think X-men movie makers are going into a minefield they created themselves. There are things that they did without knowing the outcome. And they're going to have to try and make it out safely.

What do you think of a shared universe? What is your favorite? Real or rumored of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment